Camera sensor technology reached its peak?

6 months 2 weeks ago #760321 by Ontherocks
I was just thinking this morning.  When you look at new cameras to hit the market during the last year, sensors haven't really altered that much.  So is this a sign that the sensor technology has matured and towards it peak?   Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

Photo Comments
6 months 2 weeks ago #760364 by TCav

Ontherocks wrote: Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

Greater resolution.

Lower image noise.

Higher dynamic range.

The quest continues.

6 months 2 weeks ago #760365 by TCav
What's really holding us back is the Bayer Filter and the RGB Color Model.

But escaping those restrictions will require a paradigm shift against a firmly entrenched method.

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #761990 by isabellasophie

Ontherocks wrote: I was just thinking this morning.  When you look at new cameras to hit the market during the last year, sensors haven't really altered that much home improvement monroe wa .  So is this a sign that the sensor technology has matured and towards it peak?   Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

While it's true that sensor technology in cameras has seen significant advancements over the years, it's premature to conclude that it has reached its peak. While there haven't been major breakthroughs in sensors in the past year, this doesn't necessarily mean that the technology has matured completely. Forecasting the future of sensor technology is challenging, but there are ongoing research and development efforts aimed at improving various aspects such as resolution, dynamic range, and low-light performance. It's likely that we'll continue to see incremental improvements and innovations in sensor technology in the coming years.

4 months 2 weeks ago #762008 by Chris Briggs
I'm holding out for the sensor that will be printed in my brain, when I blink twice a photo is taken.  Stomp my right foot twice and that photo is printed out.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #762062 by Frost Photography
Hardly, we see advancements all the time. They might not all be mind mending, but if you fast forward to 5 or 7 years, I bet we will see something major. 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #762151 by CharleyL
They said similar when vacuum tubes were the peak of electronics. Then discrete transistors, then integrated circuits, then computer on a chip. I don't think we are there yet.

Charley

4 months 1 week ago #762176 by Sanford

Chris Briggs wrote: I'm holding out for the sensor that will be printed in my brain, when I blink twice a photo is taken.  Stomp my right foot twice and that photo is printed out.  :rofl:

We chuckle today, but can't help wonder where Elon Musks new brain chip company will be 15 or 20 years down the road?!

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #762260 by W Cage

Chris Briggs wrote: I'm holding out for the sensor that will be printed in my brain, when I blink twice a photo is taken.  Stomp my right foot twice and that photo is printed out.  :rofl:

Seems funny today, but I bet in 20 years this might be a 'thing'!  

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #762333 by Carry
Nope, sooner or later the next tech wave will swoop on through.  As we become smarter or AI will likely be the one that comes up with the next idea.   

Photo Comments
4 months 6 days ago #762442 by Thomas S

TCav wrote:

Ontherocks wrote: Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

Greater resolution.

Lower image noise.

Higher dynamic range.

The quest continues.

Yep, Yep, Yep and absolutely!  

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #762708 by Sawyer
Not even close 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #762779 by EOS Man
Has any mainstream consumer product technology peaked, ever?  No.  Things just manage to evolve to create better products and further commerce.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #762851 by Adam S
Absolutely NOT.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024