What to charge as in house photographer?

13 years 2 months ago #31263 by Area Photog
I need to know how do most of you charge when you're the in house photographer. I have some clients that's ready to make me thier house photo guy & I need to come up with a way to charge them.
I'm keeping my fulltime job so I'll only be shooting when they need me.
I'll shoot some product shots and Promo shots
I'm requesting all photo credits of course & if any outside publication needs wants usage they have to get the file from me.
But I would like to know whats the going rate?

13 years 2 months ago #31264 by Hoky Poke
Maybe you can charge per job based on what you will be shooting that day.

13 years 2 months ago #31266 by Strelle685
My conception of an "in-house photographer" is someone who is an employee of the company with a salary and benefits. As such, his photographs are considered "work for hire" and the company owns all rights and usage. I think they are using this arrangement in order to get a really good price concession from you.

13 years 2 months ago #31268 by Area Photog
Well I have worked for them before, but recently I was thinking of making them a proposal for future shoots. So when they need me to photograph something, it's already set in stone on how much they need to pay me.

13 years 2 months ago #31269 by Scotty
Depends on what you're shooting, how much your shooting, how much editing your doing, what level you're doing it at, who you're shooting for, what kind of gear your using, what kind of deadlines you have.

You need to be less vague ;)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #31276 by Baydream
Sounds like they want a part-time photographer without having to put you on their payroll. Basically you would be a freelance photog. If they will "own" the images, then you will be charging for your time. Calculate an hourly rate and add overhead for equipment, travel, employment tax (you will have to pay FICA and income tax) as a self-employed individual. If you feel your time is worth $30/hour, add at least 50% for the overhead.
How do you others feel about that?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #31296 by Area Photog

Scotty wrote: Depends on what you're shooting, how much your shooting, how much editing your doing, what level you're doing it at, who you're shooting for, what kind of gear your using, what kind of deadlines you have.

You need to be less vague ;)

I'm just shooting fitness products. The couple times in the past I have shot for them, it has taken me all different amount of time. As little as an hour, up to 3hrs..this includes setting up and packing everything away.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024