digital backdrops

13 years 2 months ago #34654 by D5000
Would anyone buy a digital backdrop and use it on any portraits you have taken? Digital background could be anything from a gradient color to a beautiful beach shot.

13 years 2 months ago #34655 by bs3f
I would.

13 years 2 months ago #34726 by qualityresults
I do....

They are a lot cheaper than Muslin and can be done in virtually any colour to match your picture.

13 years 2 months ago #34841 by Ziggy
How does this work? You take a photo in front of a green screen first? Then pull onto the digital back drop?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #35190 by crystal

Ziggy wrote: How does this work? You take a photo in front of a green screen first? Then pull onto the digital back drop?

You could do that.
Really, you can take a picture of a person anywhere....outside or in studio, and then just take the person out of the picture and place on the digital backdrop.
13 years 2 months ago #35231 by Graphix
digital backdrops are awesome...so yes.

12 years 11 months ago #73539 by Jamie
Obviously, I'm bias, because I work for a company that is a leader in digital backdrops...but that being said...today, photographers should at least have the option for their clients... Beach scenes and standing in front of the Eiffel Tower is one thing, fun, but of course can be "cheesy"... I think the best digital backdrops are the ones that truly represent the natural feel of a real backdrop in a studio... With these, like our Studio Standards or Studio Master Series, you really wouldn't be able to tell that a digital backdrop was being used...and then you have thousands of options to choose from... It is exciting when you see the potential...and when your client sees it...wow, they will come back for more, because you'll have the most backgrounds to choose from! Okay, bias comment over...B)

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

12 years 11 months ago #75205 by Kenya See
I bet digital backgrounds will be used more than traditional backdrops in the very near future

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75253 by Kiss a Frog
Makes me wonder which is easier for the photographer. Setting up a studio with a choice of 5 or so back drops vs importing a digital background.

12 years 11 months ago #77969 by Jamie
It may be a personal preference at this time for the photographer, but eventually, and we're already seeing, as more and more photographers use digital backgrounds and more and more clients learn what's possible and demand more options, having the option to offer digital backgrounds won't hurt. Point is, if one photographer in town is offering 1000 backgrounds to choose from and another is offering four, who do you think will get more business...all other things being equal, of course... B)

12 years 11 months ago #78095 by photobod

Jamie@Photobacks wrote: It may be a personal preference at this time for the photographer, but eventually, and we're already seeing, as more and more photographers use digital backgrounds and more and more clients learn what's possible and demand more options, having the option to offer digital backgrounds won't hurt. Point is, if one photographer in town is offering 1000 backgrounds to choose from and another is offering four, who do you think will get more business...all other things being equal, of course... B)

Nice to see another Vendor taking part in the threads, personaly I have never used a digital background, not because I dont like them but I have never felt the need, having viewed some, I do like them and may consider dropping them into a package along the way, what people dont realise is that cutting someone out of a background isnt simple, and yes I know Digital Backdrops have a video on there site to teach you how, but remember if you choose this option make sure you learn the technique down to perfection as there is nothing worse than seeing a badly cut out person dropped into any photo.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #78195 by Johnnie
There are times that I will use a Digital Background. Extraction of your subject can be difficult at times, depending on your original background used. (White, Grey, Green etc.) For software I use Photoshop and Green Screen Wizard. Photoshop for the most part. I do prefer the Grey and White backgrounds mainly because of green splash over on the subject. Yes it does happen! My clients are very happy with digital creations. It has increased my sales!

12 years 11 months ago #80679 by Jamie
Great to hear, Johnnie! Yes, if you have this tool in your bag of tricks, it certainly can't hurt, and you'll be able to make more clients happy!

Thank you, Photobod, yes, we try to be careful so that people know what to expect with background removal and replacement. Basically, we say, the more complex your original background, the harder it will be to get a clean replacement...the less complex your original background, such as gray or green screen or even a white wall, the easier it will be to get a natural replacement. We do go over a lot of techniques in our video tutorials for getting natural results, but again, the above applies.

All that being said, if you shoot green screen, there are softwares like FXHome PhotoKey or Green Screen Wizard that will do an incredible green background replacement in seconds. Also, there are plug-ins for Photoshop that can make background extraction much easier and more natural with complicated backgrounds, such as Topaz Labs ReMask (also a sponsor of this site). Also, these softwares have gotten so much better over recent years, including Photoshop's new Refine Edge Tool...just awesome, giving photographers so many more options to achieve beautiful results! :)

12 years 11 months ago #81267 by Prago

Jamie@Photobacks wrote: It may be a personal preference at this time for the photographer, but eventually, and we're already seeing, as more and more photographers use digital backgrounds and more and more clients learn what's possible and demand more options, having the option to offer digital backgrounds won't hurt. Point is, if one photographer in town is offering 1000 backgrounds to choose from and another is offering four, who do you think will get more business...all other things being equal, of course... B)

How often are you guys uploading new backdrops?

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #81727 by Jamie

Prago wrote: How often are you guys uploading new backdrops?

Unfortunately, not fast enough. We have a collection of thousands, and will be rolling out new backgrounds throughout the next year. We have major product releases about every three to six months...and while I wish it were faster, we just can't produce the quality we're demanding of ourselves much quicker...so, it's a slow process to make sure we put forward the best product. We always say, stay tuned! And, this time, it's stay tuned for July! :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024