Photography trivia - what was the first digital camera?

13 years 1 month ago #35254 by Bill Murphy
Friday morning fun! Can you name the model?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35268 by crystal
I'm going to say it was Kodak.

I could google it. lol
13 years 1 month ago #35271 by Yasko
I'm gonna predict a model of Sony Mavica. (for consumer models anyway)

The first ever was probably on the Voyager space probe.

13 years 1 month ago #35273 by Yasko
just googled it and found out. I wasn't too far off. Voyager was launched in 1977. The first digital camera ever was developed in 1975 :banana:

13 years 1 month ago #35293 by chasrich
Great post Bill... just the thing for me to puzzle over. Since I had no clue I ran a search. This was some info I found interesting.

Digital camera technology is directly related to and evolved from the same technology that recorded television images. In 1951, the first video tape recorder (VTR) captured live images from television cameras by converting the information into electrical impulses (digital) and saving the information onto magnetic tape. Bing Crosby laboratories (the research team funded by Crosby and headed by engineer John Mullin) created the first early VTR and by 1956, VTR technology was perfected (the VR1000 invented by Charles P. Ginsburg and the Ampex Corporation) and in common use by the television industry. Both television/video cameras and digital cameras use a CCD (Charged Coupled Device) to sense light color and intensity.

I still don't have the answer and wouldn't spoil the fun by posting it anyway.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #35315 by Yasko
digital in the 50's! who'd have thought?

13 years 1 month ago #35326 by chasrich
I'm thinking the mag tape was more analog than digital at that stage. But still an amazing fact - we've come a long way baby...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #35375 by Joves
Actually on the consumer end the Sony wasnt the first on the general market. What was first was the CCD cameras for astronomy, RCA produced the 320x512 chip and Kitt Peak got it a couple of years after that they were sold to the amateur market. My friend and I split the costs on making our own cook book CCD camera, that chip cost use $2,200 back then, it had to be Nitrogen cooled as well to get an image, then you had to pull the image out because the screen was black when you first looked at it. Also it wasnt even an MP either.

13 years 1 month ago #35411 by Yasko
Wow! how long ago was this?

13 years 1 month ago #35413 by Baydream

Joves wrote: Actually on the consumer end the Sony wasnt the first on the general market. What was first was the CCD cameras for astronomy, RCA produced the 320x512 chip and Kitt Peak got it a couple of years after that they were sold to the amateur market. My friend and I split the costs on making our own cook book CCD camera, that chip cost use $2,200 back then, it had to be Nitrogen cooled as well to get an image, then you had to pull the image out because the screen was black when you first looked at it. Also it wasnt even an MP either.

Were you shooting RAW? :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35529 by Joves

Yasko wrote: Wow! how long ago was this?

Around 79" or 80". Kitt Peak got their first chips in 77" if I rmember right. It is hell getting old because theyears start to run together. And actually Fairchilds made the firs commercial chips but they sucked for imaging.

13 years 1 month ago #35531 by Scotty
The concept of digitizing images on scanners, and the concept of digitizing video signals, predate the concept of making still pictures by digitizing signals from an array of discrete sensor elements. At Philips Labs. in New York, Edward Stupp, Pieter Cath and Zsolt Szilagyi filed for a patent on "All Solid State Radiation Imagers" on 6 September 1968 and constructed a flat-screen target for receiving and storing an optical image on a matrix composed of an array of photodiodes connected to a capacitor to form an array of two terminal devices connected in rows and columns. Their US patent was granted on 10 November 1970.[8] Texas Instruments engineer Willis Adcock designed a filmless camera that was not digital and applied for a patent in 1972, but it is not known whether it was ever built.[9] The first recorded attempt at building a digital camera was in 1975 by Steven Sasson, an engineer at Eastman Kodak.[10][11] It used the then-new solid-state CCD image sensor chips developed by Fairchild Semiconductor in 1973.[12] The camera weighed 8 pounds (3.6 kg), recorded black and white images to a cassette tape, had a resolution of 0.01 megapixels (10,000 pixels), and took 23 seconds to capture its first image in December 1975. The prototype camera was a technical exercise, not intended for production.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35669 by player
inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bldigitalcamera.htm

According to about.com, the Mavica isn't considered a true digital camera because it took freeze frames of video. It looks like the posts that predicted Kodak are correct. Here's a little bit of the article from the link above.

Texas Instruments patented a film-less electronic camera in 1972, the first to do so. In August, 1981, Sony released the Sony Mavica electronic still camera, the camera which was the first commercial electronic camera. Images were recorded onto a mini disc and then put into a video reader that was connected to a television monitor or color printer. However, the early Mavica cannot be considered a true digital camera even though it started the digital camera revolution. It was a video camera that took video freeze-frames.

Since the mid-1970s, Kodak has invented several solid-state image sensors that "converted light to digital pictures" for professional and home consumer use. In 1986, Kodak scientists invented the world's first megapixel sensor, capable of recording 1.4 million pixels that could produce a 5x7-inch digital photo-quality print. In 1987, Kodak released seven products for recording, storing, manipulating, transmitting and printing electronic still video images.

13 years 1 month ago #35702 by Scotty

player wrote: inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bldigitalcamera.htm

According to about.com, the Mavica isn't considered a true digital camera because it took freeze frames of video. It looks like the posts that predicted Kodak are correct. Here's a little bit of the article from the link above.

Texas Instruments patented a film-less electronic camera in 1972, the first to do so. In August, 1981, Sony released the Sony Mavica electronic still camera, the camera which was the first commercial electronic camera. Images were recorded onto a mini disc and then put into a video reader that was connected to a television monitor or color printer. However, the early Mavica cannot be considered a true digital camera even though it started the digital camera revolution. It was a video camera that took video freeze-frames.

Since the mid-1970s, Kodak has invented several solid-state image sensors that "converted light to digital pictures" for professional and home consumer use. In 1986, Kodak scientists invented the world's first megapixel sensor, capable of recording 1.4 million pixels that could produce a 5x7-inch digital photo-quality print. In 1987, Kodak released seven products for recording, storing, manipulating, transmitting and printing electronic still video images.

Like my post said, so what do I win? :banana:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35776 by digishutterbug
Very interesting.

I saw a camera that I think was a Kodak and one photo could be saved on an old 5 1/4" disk. The quality of the photo was amazing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024