Is photoshopping cheating?

13 years 2 months ago #38107 by Fevel
Those of us who use photoshop on photos, would you consider it cheating? or is it accepted?

13 years 2 months ago #38108 by crystal
Why would it be cheating?
13 years 2 months ago #38109 by Fevel
I mean cheating in a way, that we took the photo, which the camera developed and now we import into photoshop (or any software) to edit it.

13 years 2 months ago #38110 by crystal
Nope.
We are developing the shot. Especially if it was shot in raw.
Photoshop is the digital world of the darkroom.
13 years 2 months ago #38111 by Dr. Docter
Ansel Adams was arguably one of the great photographers of all time.

I'd be surprised if Ansel ever met a negative he didn't feel he could "improve" before printing it.

13 years 2 months ago #38112 by crystal
Oh and photoshopping a photo, is very accepted.
13 years 2 months ago #38135 by Baydream

Dr. Docter wrote: Ansel Adams was arguably one of the great photographers of all time.

I'd be surprised if Ansel ever met a negative he didn't feel he could "improve" before printing it.

:agree: Read an article on Adams. He did post processing on EVERY shot he printed. If he had Photoshop then, he would have used it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38140 by effron

Fevel wrote: Those of us who use photoshop on photos, would you consider it cheating? or is it accepted?

Of course its cheating. You should all stop it, right now!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38219 by Scotty
Cheat much as possible.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38221 by chasrich
Take all ye can - Give nuthin back! Arrrrrrrrrr! :duel:
Capt. Jack Sparrow

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago #38223 by studioaphoto
It's not cheating. I love carrying my darkroom with me :-)

Tanis
13 years 2 months ago #38257 by honey bear
The only time I would consider it "cheating" is if you were required to submit a totally untouched, just-from-the-camera photo and you used PhotoShop, then denied it. Otherwise, there's nothing cheating about it. Photographers worked all sorts of "magic" in the darkroom in times past and no one accused them of cheating.

13 years 2 months ago #38258 by Scotty
The whole process of photography is unnatural. Film you use a mechanized unit to record light onto a piece of film, then use chemicals on it to bring it to life. Digital, you use a similiar mechanism to record light to a sensor, the manipulate it computers.

It's all about making an image.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38284 by Rob pix4u2
I think if you digitally manipulate an image of something that is immoral,say like placing someone in a compromising situation when they clearly weren't there you could define that as "cheating" but under normal situations of developing an image no. Was dodging and burning cheating-no , then photoshop isn't either

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #38297 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I think if you digitally manipulate an image of something that is immoral,say like placing someone in a compromising situation when they clearly weren't there you could define that as "cheating" but under normal situations of developing an image no. Was dodging and burning cheating-no , then photoshop isn't either

Any alteration is an alteration though.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024