High heat damage camera gear?

13 years 4 weeks ago #43736 by Gammill
When I'm out and about I won't bring my gear in with me to lets say the mall. I will move it to the trunk of the car. My question is during a hot day and the fact that my car is black, can the camera gear get damaged from high heat that is created in the trunk?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #43738 by crystal
From my own experience...no. As I have also left my camera in the car if I have too, (such as mall or grocery store). But I try my best to not leave it in the car at all or for long periods of time.
13 years 4 weeks ago - 13 years 4 weeks ago #43750 by Baydream
Heat will damage ANY electronic gear. Carry a fold-able insulated bag (picnic bag) to provide a extra layer of protection for the heat. Even at that, don't leave it too long or lunch could be fried components, not a tasty treat.

In fact, it is not recommended you place your camera on the floor of the car, especially in hot weather. The extra heat can be damaging.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #43763 by Cre8tivefix
Having taken apart several DSLRs in the last year, and having seen all the different ways they can die. I wouldn't leave mine in the car. I do everything I can to prevent extreme temperatures or humidity.

13 years 4 weeks ago #43804 by Baydream

Cre8tivefix wrote: Having taken apart several DSLRs in the last year, and having seen all the different ways they can die. I wouldn't leave mine in the car. I do everything I can to prevent extreme temperatures or humidity.

Sharing your first hand experience is appreciated. Thank you.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago - 13 years 4 weeks ago #43832 by photobod
My camera never leaves my sight when I am out and about, I would never leave it in the trunk of my car no matter what the weather, simply because cars get stolen on a regular basis, and while I wouldnt mourn the loss of my car I would be devastated to lose my camera, as that would be me out of work until the insurance sorted it which can take months. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 4 weeks ago - 13 years 4 weeks ago #43966 by arkady001
Very much so - you'd be horrified at how hot a car interior gets in mid-summer in some places.
Mine reached over 65C last year when the outside temps hit 38C. That dropped to 48C when i was moving (the air-con condenser had broken!!!).

It'll kill your pet dog, so yes - it'll kill your camera too.

Hottest I ever had my cameras was 60C in Afghanistan in the summer of 2006 - everything was so hot I had to wear gloves to operate the cameras - they were literally too hot to touch with bare hands. I was concerned that the lens-mounting cement might melt.
I use Nikon and they only guaranteed faultless operation up to 32C.
I was gratified to see that some of the press photographers embedded with us who used Canon were having problems - I saw three top end bodies fail in that heat: one had the seals melt and all the controls jammed; one had the LCD displays all turn black, never to return and another 'just stopped' working.
My D2x bodies had no dramas at all... We informed our contacts at Nikon UK on our return and they went all smiley and smug...

13 years 4 weeks ago #44012 by canon4me
If I'm planning a trip to the mall...I don't bring my camera... I rarely leave my camera in the car. If I'm out and about taking pic;s...and we stop at a restaurant....that camera comes in with me!

13 years 4 weeks ago #44279 by Jeffster
I don't leave mine in car

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #44412 by Fitch
I'm more concerned about people stealing my gear than the heat. Matter of fact I would be more angry if my gear was stolen then my car! But no I don't leave my stuff in my car.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #44427 by arkady001

Fitch wrote: I'm more concerned about people stealing my gear than the heat. Matter of fact I would be more angry if my gear was stolen then my car! But no I don't leave my stuff in my car.

My camera are all worth more than my (daily-driver) car anyway...:lol:

13 years 4 weeks ago #44429 by chasrich

arkady001 wrote:

Fitch wrote: I'm more concerned about people stealing my gear than the heat. Matter of fact I would be more angry if my gear was stolen then my car! But no I don't leave my stuff in my car.

It would be very close for me to compare the value of the two... I'd have to go with the truck ATM because the tank is full. :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago #44636 by Alex
If I leave any gear in the car, I will cover it up with blanket or towel if I have in the car. Most times, I have my camera bag that provides some heat protection.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #44663 by Cre8tivefix

chasrich wrote:

arkady001 wrote:

It would be very close for me to compare the value of the two... I'd have to go with the truck ATM because the tank is full. :rofl:

I busted a gut reading this. :rofl:

13 years 3 weeks ago #44669 by Baydream

chasrich wrote:

arkady001 wrote:

And what a diff if you put on my tires :rofl:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024