How Many MegaPixels Do I REALLY Need?

12 years 11 months ago #52429 by JoAnne Muzila
I'm looking for a new point and shoot camera, something that I can carry with me in my purse. I do have a Nikon D80 which is my baby, but my baby is heavy to have with me every day and all the time. I really don't print out to much, so really is a 40 megapixel camera or what ever they are up to needed? What is a good run of the mill number of megapixels for "everyday" average use?

Thanks - JoAnne

12 years 11 months ago #52431 by Moe
I agree that the marketing by some of the point and shoot camera manufactures is out of control. I would say anything around 8MP would be plenty

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #52436 by Baydream
For me, I use my P&S like you do (but not in my purse :blink: ). For the purposes I use it, about 16 is all I need but I do require a decent zoom range (16x or more) since I shoot wildlife and have found the 4x and 6x are for parties (kinda jokn'). My SLRs are 12 but with the prices the way they are, 16 is reasonable. I personally want to get the Panasonic ZS10. www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752074-RE..._Digital_Camera.html (14mp, 16x zoom and built-in GPS)

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #52447 by Francis
So who makes the best P&S any way? I have a Sony Cybershot that is 12MP and that camera is a champ

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #52454 by Scotty
Canon G12 (i think they're on 12 now) is where it's at.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #52536 by Francis

Scotty wrote: Canon G12 (i think they're on 12 now) is where it's at.

:thumbsup: nice camera :drool: Just looking at the specs

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #52543 by Stealthy Ninja
LOL @ 40MP. Trust me the 40MP cameras won't fit in your purse. :p

Get a S95. Same sensor (and lens I think) as the G12, but more compact and simpler to use.

My wife has one, it's pretty good.

Just for comparison, I have a D3s. I don't mind the s95 quality for snapshots... of course they can't compare in low light, but I'd be pretty mad if they did. ;)
12 years 11 months ago #52638 by JoAnne Muzila

Stealthy Ninja wrote: LOL @ 40MP. Trust me the 40MP cameras won't fit in your purse. :p

Get a S95. Same sensor (and lens I think) as the G12, but more compact and simpler to use.

Just for comparison, I have a D3s. I don't mind the s95 quality for snapshots... of course they can't compare in low light, but I'd be pretty mad if they did. ;)

Can you shoot in complete manual settings with the S95?

12 years 11 months ago #52833 by WillF
As many as it takes to get to the top?

12 years 11 months ago #52837 by mynameismichael
for your average everyday use i think 15 MP is all that you need, never now when the opportunity might arise to make some stock photography.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #52995 by Stealthy Ninja

JoAnne Muzila wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: LOL @ 40MP. Trust me the 40MP cameras won't fit in your purse. :p

Can you shoot in complete manual settings with the S95?

Yes, just not so many dials on the camera for settings like the G12. If you want more control (and a hotshoe) get the G12. It's not THAT much bigger. ;)
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #52999 by chasrich
This is a little like a question Bill Gates answered... "You will never need more than 640K of RAM" or was it 256? No matter - we all know that was wrong. I'll grow with the technology... In 2015 there will be the Terapixel camera! :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #53001 by Joves
In truth if all you plan on doing with the images is posting on the web then 6MP is plenty. I know blasphemy to some but it is true.

12 years 11 months ago #53749 by JoAnne Muzila
You all are such a big help, thank you for all the information

12 years 11 months ago #54830 by Stealthy Ninja
Welcome, you are.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024