Who do you trust?

12 years 11 months ago #56227 by AJ8S
So I've been thinking of buying a new lens. I only have the kit lens and I want something else. So I'm price surfing and all these sites have different prices. Amazon, Adorama, B&H, Calumet... So who do I trust? I would think a lens coming from it's manufacture...Canon, Nikon etc.. they be the same price across the board.

12 years 11 months ago #56249 by Nod
Adorama, B & H, Calumet, Butterfly Photo, KEH are all good companies and can be trusted. As far as price goes as I understand it, they can all charge as MUCH as the market will bear, but cannot sell at a price lower than the manufacturer sets. That's why when you see it advertised at a very low price, there will always be a catch. Don't fall for it, Before you buy from anywhere check out the vendor's rating @ www.resellerratings.com

12 years 11 months ago #56363 by effron
You listen to NOD, he speak truth............

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #56401 by Baydream
I personally buy mostly from B&H because of the "trust" issue. They have been upfront with me and never let me down. They also indicate when a lens is a US or Import version. My club has an "affiliate" relationship with B&H that returns a 2% "commission" to the club for purchases linked from the club website. When all things are equal, that pulls the chain.
Adorama has also been good to me and I plan to look into KEH.
Nod is so correct in checking a dealers' ratings.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #56445 by Scotty
bh and ghost busters.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #56469 by Nod
BayDream-- KEH handles used stuff but when they say something is in "Good" condition, you can bet it is in "Excellent" condition. They are very trustworthty on used equipment. I've purchased several things from them and have never been disappointed .

12 years 11 months ago #56501 by Graflex 4x5
I've been dealing with Adorama, B&H and KEH for years (more like decades) and have never been disappointed.

Adorama and B&H are a couple hrs away so if can't wait a day or 2 for something I can jump in the car and make a day trip. If you're in NYC make it a point to stop in and see B&H's new store ... Impressive!

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 11 months ago #56508 by Screamin Scott
Don't trust anyone over 30...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #56509 by Baydream
The great thing about the net is saving the big NY sales tax.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #56547 by Stealthy Ninja
HK shop called Kinefoto. A local shop called Sunning (only one branch I trust because I sorta know the guy there).

Just to make you guys remember that there's a world outside the U.S. :p
12 years 11 months ago #56719 by Graflex 4x5

Stealthy Ninja wrote: HK shop called Kinefoto. A local shop called Sunning (only one branch I trust because I sorta know the guy there).

The businesses asked about are US based, and have North American warranties for the products they sell.

The price would have to be really great to make up for the 10+ days for shipping from Hong Kong and the optional North American warranty.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 11 months ago #57244 by ilh2009ky
I use BH Photo, Adorama, and KEH primarily for cameras and associatyed equipment like lenses, tripods, etc. I've heard that Calumet and Abe's of Maine are also pretty good (although I haven't personally used them). For smaller type stuff, check out Outdoor Photo Gear. They run great sales from time to time. One example is a year or so ago, they ran a special on the Gepe Extreme Card Safe case which holds memory cards. Normally priced around $20, Outdoor Photo gear had a buy one get one free sale making the effective price $10 per case.

One other key thing, if you are looking to buy lenses, make sure to checkout Fred Miranda's website ( www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ ). I won't buy any lens without checking out Fred Miranda's reviews.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

12 years 11 months ago #57406 by Stealthy Ninja

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: HK shop called Kinefoto. A local shop called Sunning (only one branch I trust because I sorta know the guy there).

The businesses asked about are US based, and have North American warranties for the products they sell.

The price would have to be really great to make up for the 10+ days for shipping from Hong Kong and the optional North American warranty.

Well you get international warranties for most lenses bought in HK (grey market aside). Not bodies though.

Anyway, I was just answering thread question: "who do you trust?" Since I've never bought from any of those websites. I can't answer honestly with one of those websites.
12 years 11 months ago #57408 by Joves
For used glass I go to KEH and Used Cameras. For new I pretty much buy from B&H. The way glass prices have been I look more to used.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024