Contest winners

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73809 by chasrich
I wrote an editorial I think. Sorry if it got too lengthy. I just thought it needed to be said. :goodpost: :judge: :agree: :rofl: :woohoo: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :goodpost: :owned: :woohoo: :woohoo: :goodpost: :owned: :judge: :agree: :patriot: :banana: :thumbsup: :rofl: :goodpost: :judge: :cheers: :banana: :woohoo: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73857 by Baydream

chasrich wrote: I wrote an editorial I think. Sorry if it got too lengthy. I just thought it needed to be said. :goodpost: :judge: :agree: :rofl: :woohoo: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :goodpost: :owned: :woohoo: :woohoo: :goodpost: :owned: :judge: :agree: :patriot: :banana: :thumbsup: :rofl: :goodpost: :judge: :cheers: :banana: :woohoo: :woohoo:

But in the end, you said what needed to be said. There were no "rules" or "criteria" stated for the contest so I believe you are correct in your analysis.
The winning photos may NOT be the best submitted but a combination of the photo and the responses and the responders' counts.
Good job, professor.
Need help getting up?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74041 by chasrich

Baydream wrote:

chasrich wrote: I wrote an editorial I think. Sorry if it got too lengthy. I just thought it needed to be said. :goodpost: :judge: :agree: :rofl: :woohoo: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :goodpost: :owned: :woohoo: :woohoo: :goodpost: :owned: :judge: :agree: :patriot: :banana: :thumbsup: :rofl: :goodpost: :judge: :cheers: :banana: :woohoo: :woohoo:

But in the end, you said what needed to be said. There were no "rules" or "criteria" stated for the contest so I believe you are correct in your analysis.
The winning photos may NOT be the best submitted but a combination of the photo and the responses and the responders' counts.
Good job, professor.
Need help getting up?

Thanks for the response John. I was worried that my rant/editorial might have been a thread killer. Ya think?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #74045 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote: Chris has promised the photos will be published soon. he did this in the spring give away winners announced thread, so just be patient folks.

Winning Photos will be posted shortly..we promise.

Chris

Good. Then we can all critique his choices. :whistle:

Just try not to rain on the Parade Adrian please :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #74055 by Eddie
Congrats to everyone who won both contests!!!! It must be a great feeling! :thumbsup: :judge:

12 years 11 months ago #74057 by Baydream

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote: Chris has promised the photos will be published soon. he did this in the spring give away winners announced thread, so just be patient folks.

Winning Photos will be posted shortly..we promise.

Chris

Good. Then we can all critique his choices. :whistle:

Just try not to rain on the Parade Adrian please :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

I'm sure Adrian will comport himself in his usual professional manner :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74059 by Stealthy Ninja

chasrich wrote: I broke out the Ninja dictionary and started to translate some of the Stealthy messages in this thread. It turned out to be total gibberish - no surprise there... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm thinking that this contest, because of the way the rules were worded, was a combination of who posted the best photos, who posted the most photos and who posted the most comments. Apparently all of these factors were weighted equally judging from my perspective because the top finishers seem to have been the ones that posted the most comments. I'm not saying their photo wasn't the best or their body of work wasn't the best overall I'm just saying that comments are easier to post than photos and photos are easier to post that really good quality photos.

This led to three separate contests... with three types of competitors. Some of us competed by submitting their best shots lets say the top ten. Others of us thought the best way to compete was to keep submitting photos on a daily basis. A large number of us (me included) ran in this race by doing just that. The third set of competitors were the ones that were promoting the contest excitement by keeping the thread active on a minute by minute basis.

As I stated in a previous thread. I got a lot out of this contest as I processed a large number of images to feed the contest beast. A shot or two of mine got some favorable comments that I was proud to hear. I accomplished a lot learning my new camera and advanced in that area much faster than I normally would have. I also enjoyed reading most of the comments and even was moved to comment on a lot of entries too. Then I got a prize that for me was the best thing I would use :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'm not good at making statements that might hurt someones feelings and that is not my intention here but... At times the contest thread got a little tedious with some photos being quoted over and over to maintain a conversation of sorts. I'm not faulting those top finishers for posting lots of comments as they earned their position through hours of dedicated work. I am trying to look at the "contest" from the perspective of those artists that edited through their archives and submitted their work in less than a dozen or perhaps only one or two images. I'm wondering how those people finished even though their work might have been worthy of some recognition.

The photos could have been judged on their merits and given recognition in a separate category but then we would not have accomplished the goal of increased participation in our forums. The people contributing the most original photos could also be recognized for their efforts. And finally I'd like to see the posting numbers on those few die-hard contributors that posted every hour (it seems) and kept the enthusiasm at a high level.

All three contests contributed. The prizes should be given on the basis of who contributed the most. Opinions might vary as to the weight each submission was given but there in lies the intentions of the judges. Let's not rush to tie a hangman's noose and lynch our benefactor. It was a good contest and I had fun. Let's do it again soon.

I'm returning this soapbox before I stagger and fall off!:thumbsup:

Yeh, you got it right... well written too, I actually read all that. :blink:

As for raining on parades... get your umbrellas ready. :banana: Ha ha.

Don't worry David, I just want to see the photos. It's PHOTOgraphy Talk after all. ;) Saves me wading through the thread. LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix
12 years 11 months ago #74087 by photobod

chasrich wrote: I broke out the Ninja dictionary and started to translate some of the Stealthy messages in this thread. It turned out to be total gibberish - no surprise there... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm thinking that this contest, because of the way the rules were worded, was a combination of who posted the best photos, who posted the most photos and who posted the most comments. Apparently all of these factors were weighted equally judging from my perspective because the top finishers seem to have been the ones that posted the most comments. I'm not saying their photo wasn't the best or their body of work wasn't the best overall I'm just saying that comments are easier to post than photos and photos are easier to post that really good quality photos.

This led to three separate contests... with three types of competitors. Some of us competed by submitting their best shots lets say the top ten. Others of us thought the best way to compete was to keep submitting photos on a daily basis. A large number of us (me included) ran in this race by doing just that. The third set of competitors were the ones that were promoting the contest excitement by keeping the thread active on a minute by minute basis.

As I stated in a previous thread. I got a lot out of this contest as I processed a large number of images to feed the contest beast. A shot or two of mine got some favorable comments that I was proud to hear. I accomplished a lot learning my new camera and advanced in that area much faster than I normally would have. I also enjoyed reading most of the comments and even was moved to comment on a lot of entries too. Then I got a prize that for me was the best thing I would use :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'm not good at making statements that might hurt someones feelings and that is not my intention here but... At times the contest thread got a little tedious with some photos being quoted over and over to maintain a conversation of sorts. I'm not faulting those top finishers for posting lots of comments as they earned their position through hours of dedicated work. I am trying to look at the "contest" from the perspective of those artists that edited through their archives and submitted their work in less than a dozen or perhaps only one or two images. I'm wondering how those people finished even though their work might have been worthy of some recognition.

The photos could have been judged on their merits and given recognition in a separate category but then we would not have accomplished the goal of increased participation in our forums. The people contributing the most original photos could also be recognized for their efforts. And finally I'd like to see the posting numbers on those few die-hard contributors that posted every hour (it seems) and kept the enthusiasm at a high level.

All three contests contributed. The prizes should be given on the basis of who contributed the most. Opinions might vary as to the weight each submission was given but there in lies the intentions of the judges. Let's not rush to tie a hangman's noose and lynch our benefactor. It was a good contest and I had fun. Let's do it again soon.

I'm returning this soapbox before I stagger and fall off!:thumbsup:

Well said to a point Charles and that soap box was very high indeed :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

I personally believe that those who interpreted the rules properly, (and its my belief that some never even read the rules first, including our good red friend Mr Ninja) and played to those rules ie: posted good quality photos and also interacted by commenting on photos were the ones that were highest placed, in other words and in my opinion it was a MIX OF BOTH not one or the other, which with all credit to Alex and the team is what they wanted, possibly not quite expecting the weight of contributions to almost collapse the whole process.

I dont want to hear anyone in this forum making out that it wasnt a truly photographic contest (as one member seemed to hint at soon after the results were announced) we have to have faith in our leader Alex and all his team who worked hard at keeping up with the problems and trying hard to solve them, even though many were not attributal to PT in any way.

It was there baby and there judging and we must all hold true to there judgement. so no
raining on this parade folks as if I hear it I will comment back in an honest and forthright way.

Every winner in this contest thoroughly deserve there prize.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #74099 by Stealthy Ninja
Rools? Me dunt noe hau two reed.

I just want to see what the top photos were (seriously).

:toetap:
12 years 11 months ago #74103 by chasrich
I can only control what I post. I too want to see the photos selected on merit. I want the bragging rights if I earned them and to congratulate those that do make the grade. I would like to read the analysis of the posting data too to see what was accomplished by those cheering on the contestants. I don't expect a comparison between contributions and the prize list. I do want to read what everybody thinks and also to withhold my opinions if I choose to. Mostly I want to eat some lunch :drool: as I passed on breakfast. Life goes on. :rolleyes

12 years 11 months ago #74107 by crystal

chasrich wrote: I'm thinking that this contest, because of the way the rules were worded, was a combination of who posted the best photos, who posted the most photos and who posted the most comments. Apparently all of these factors were weighted equally judging from my perspective because the top finishers seem to have been the ones that posted the most comments. I'm not saying their photo wasn't the best or their body of work wasn't the best overall I'm just saying that comments are easier to post than photos and photos are easier to post that really good quality photos.

:agree: completely. I understood completely as to why Alex set the rules as he did, but IMO it was a photo contest and only the best of the best should have been posted. I seen photos from people who posted good ones, and not so good ones. I've seen comments just being thrown out there. I posted my best and ended with that. I left comments up until about page 100, because after it became a multiple page thread it was a pain in the ass to go back to each page to comment. IMO, it's still not fixed enough for me to bother going back. So I haven't touch that thread in weeks, all because of the page issue. Otherwise I would have comment on every single photo posted (because I have the time, and if a photo get posted to be enter, it should be comment on...seeing that was the rules)

:agree:

12 years 11 months ago #74111 by crystal

chasrich wrote:

Baydream wrote: [But in the end, you said what needed to be said. There were no "rules" or "criteria" stated for the contest so I believe you are correct in your analysis.
Good job, professor.
Need help getting up?

Thanks for the response John. I was worried that my rant/editorial might have been a thread killer. Ya think?

Not a thread killer in my eyes. You said exactly what was on my mind...you beat me to it.
12 years 11 months ago #74289 by photobod

crystal wrote:

chasrich wrote:

Baydream wrote: [But in the end, you said what needed to be said. There were no "rules" or "criteria" stated for the contest so I believe you are correct in your analysis.
Good job, professor.
Need help getting up?

Not a thread killer in my eyes. You said exactly what was on my mind...you beat me to it.

He only makes out he is a gentle santa Crystal actualy he is as sharp as a razer blade :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 11 months ago #74295 by chasrich
Thank you Crystal. Perhaps I was channeling you? Did you feel anything? :woohoo:

12 years 11 months ago #74301 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

crystal wrote:

chasrich wrote:

Good job, professor.
Need help getting up?

He only makes out he is a gentle santa Crystal actualy he is as sharp as a razer blade :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't think he knows what a razor blade is actually.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024