Auto insurance that covers camera gear??

12 years 11 months ago #77509 by Moe
I was just told that auto insurance will cover gear, I called my insurance company and they said no coverage. Does your auto policy cover your camera equipment? If so who's coverage do you have?

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #77537 by Nikonjan

Moe wrote: I was just told that auto insurance will cover gear, I called my insurance company and they said no coverage. Does your auto policy cover your camera equipment? If so who's coverage do you have?

Wouldn't the auto coverage only cover a certain amount if it was stolen from your car? I have insurance for just my photography gear through Professional Photograhers of America, Marsh Affinity Group. of Seabury and Smith. It was fairly cheap and I did have to use it to fix my lens I dropped last year. It was a $100 deductible.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #77609 by Moe
Hmmm... I just left my friend a message to get the full details. I'm near certain he said it covered all his gear.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #77683 by effron
I have a rider to my homeowners that covers my photo gear no matter where I am. Stolen out of or damaged in my vehicle, or someone else's, its covered.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #77723 by angbrey
I can help with this.....from my personal experience.

Most auto insurances will only cover up to about $2500 on your person or in your car for a very small charge (like $15/yr) for personal items. Some people have that invested in just a body or just one lens, let alone your entire camera bag. I would be sure to ask about amount covered at all times including theft, accidental damage, or what happens when you're traveling out of state/country. These should be standard, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. You can have higher insurance added as well.

The primary factor will be whether or not you use your camera gear as income. The average homeowners or auto policy will not cover your business (at least from what I've gathered).

We have auto and home insurance through Geico. Since I generate income as a primary source (sometimes secondary - I'm also a realtor) through photography (weddings, portraits, etc...) neither my home or auto insurance will cover my gear since they view this as business related. Therefore, I must acquire insurance through another professional media source. PPA as NikonJan suggested is a great source, as well as some others. Google search for sources and be sure to check them out with the BBB.

If photography is your hobby and not a business, then you should have no problem having a rider added into your homeowner's (or renters) policy. Again, check with your auto because ours would only cover up to $2,500 with Geico.

Keep us posted, I'd like to know how you make out.

~ Angela ~
12 years 11 months ago #77823 by Baydream
Sometimes a homeowners policy may offer a rider to cover your equipment but every company will be different. Jan has the right idea about special coverage but read the policy and make sure you understand what is covered. A club member had a boat go down under her and has been trying to figure out if homeowners or other will cove her equipment.
Thanks for the tip Jan. How about posting the web site (you probably have somewhere else) for PPA.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #77857 by Joves

effron wrote: I have a rider to my homeowners that covers my photo gear no matter where I am. Stolen out of or damaged in my vehicle, or someone else's, its covered.......;)

:agree:
That is how my contents are covered. Getting a Rider is your best bet, you can set the valuation for the gear you have.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #78183 by angbrey
For those of you who have riders, do you use your gear as a business or as a hobby?? Thanks!

As my previous post stated, our insurance would NOT cover my equipment because I operate as a business. So, for those of you who do use your gear as income, please be sure to make sure your insurance company knows about it to see if they will still cover you.

A fellow local PT wedding photographer here in Albany recently had all of her gear stolen. She had just finished shooting a wedding. Her mistake: she left her gear by the hotel lobby doors while she went to get her car, and when she pulled her car up EVERYTHING was gone. The insurance she has been paying for years (H.O. rider) on her gear, says they will not cover it because she never told them she used her photo gear to generate income from shooting weddings. They would only cover personal use. OUCH!!

Here's a link for Property & Casualty Insurance Co, used from PPA. You can contact them with any questions if you are not a member of PPA.
www.seaburyandsmith.com/

~ Angela ~
12 years 11 months ago #78509 by Big Kevin
I know mine doesn't, home owners insurance should cover it though.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024