I need help with titles for my photos

12 years 11 months ago #78109 by crystal
So I finally have all my photos printed that I plan on having hung in the Wellness Center. I suck at giving titles/naming my photos. So I would like everyone's help.

Here is the link to the photos
www.crystalwightman.com/innerpeace

You may reply to this thread with any title or name for the photos, please just let me know what photo you are giving a title too.

Or you can leave a comment under each photo of the title you can think of. (if you click to enlarge the photo, you can leave comments)

I need this ASAP. So I can hand in my work ASAP.

Thank you. :)
12 years 11 months ago #78115 by Baydream
Tried that link. It got to your site but :( only this message appeared "Sorry, the page you were looking for cannot be found."

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78123 by crystal
hmmmm thanks. I know Zenfolio is doing site maintence (according to their homepage). When I went to the link, the photos loaded very slowly. I guess now it's down altogether.
12 years 11 months ago #78125 by crystal
Alright, try it again, site should be working now.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #78129 by Henry Peach

crystal wrote: I suck at giving titles/naming my photos.

I feel your pain. Out of thousands of photos I've maybe come up with 2 or 3 good titles. For a long time I told myself titles didn't matter. Now I think it's probably at least as important as proper framing/display, maybe more. If the viewer knows the title it will influence their perception of the photo. I used to use titles that were very documentary: "Douglas County State Fishing Lake In Winter". I think that encourages the viewer to feel like this is a normal photo of a normal place. If I want to try to move them towards excitement and wonder, or some other emotion, I need a title that sets the mood: "The Garden of the Children of Ymir". (<---I've been reading Robert E. Howard recently ;) ) Try to use words and phrases that help evoke the feelings you hope to inspire in the viewer.
12 years 11 months ago #78131 by Baydream

crystal wrote: Alright, try it again, site should be working now.

Got it.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78135 by crystal

Henry Peach wrote:

crystal wrote: I suck at giving titles/naming my photos.

I feel your pain. Out of thousands of photos I've maybe come up with 2 or 3 good titles. For a long time I told myself titles didn't matter. Now I think it's probably at least as important as proper framing/display, maybe more. If the viewer knows the title it will influence their perception of the photo. I used to use titles that were very documentary: "Douglas County State Fishing Lake In Winter". I think that encourages the viewer to feel like this is a normal photo of a normal place. If I want to try to move them towards excitement and wonder, or some other emotion, I need a title that sets the mood: "The Garden of the Children of Ymir". (<---I've been reading Robert E. Howard recently ;) ) Try to use words and phrases that help evoke the feelings you hope to inspire in the viewer.

Most of my photos, all I can think of is....Purple Flower. Eagle Flying. Single Drop. lol Very simple titles. Like I said, I suck at it. lol And because I'm not good at titles, I never gave titles, but the owner of the wellness center said she is going to put a card under each photo with the title, mainly so it's easy to keep track of what gets sold. Which I agree with, but doesn't mean it's easy for me to think of titles. lol
12 years 11 months ago #78141 by Henry Peach
Take those simple titles, and hit the internet. Check out the thesaurus at dictionary.com to see alternate words. I google the word, sometimes in a phrase, and see where that leads me.

For instance what kind of flower is the purple flower? Does it ever show up in a story/myth/legend/poem? There's got to be plenty of good stuff on eagles and tigers. Just at thesaurus.com "Purple Flower" becomes "Violaceous Efflorescence". It means the same thing, but sure sounds fancier. :)
12 years 11 months ago #78147 by Baydream
Added comments to all on the site with first reaction names. Hope it helps.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78161 by crystal
Thank you so much.
12 years 11 months ago #78249 by photobod

crystal wrote: Thank you so much.

I tried to do as John did, opened them and put down what came to mind in that instant, hope it helps x

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #78251 by crystal

photobod wrote:

I tried to do as John did, opened them and put down what came to mind in that instant, hope it helps x

Thanks. I did get to read both yours and Johns. Thanks guys. Anyone else care to title some photos? Don't be afraid, step up. lol
12 years 11 months ago #78257 by MLKstudios
Consider selling the rights to a card company. Warhol taught us mass reproduction is a good way to go. Even Ansel Adams didn't make much $$ till someone convinced him to do calendars and posters (in the '80s). Then he earned a fortune.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #78259 by photobod

crystal wrote:

photobod wrote:

Thanks. I did get to read both yours and Johns. Thanks guys. Anyone else care to title some photos? Don't be afraid, step up. lol

Are you going to let us know which you choose ????

No offense will be taken if you dont choose mine grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024