My gf wants me to teach her photography

12 years 11 months ago #80247 by ko98
My girlfriend has expressed interest in learning how to use my DSLR. In what order would I teach her stuff about the camera? I think if I could get her to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, & ISO, and how those setting affect a shot, that would get her off to a good start.

Is there somewhere else I should start instead?

Has anyone taught their spouse, or any family member/friend photography? How well did it go?

12 years 11 months ago #80249 by Lisa JK

12 years 11 months ago #80251 by williams35
Set it on P or Automatic and let her go take some pictures. As she gets better move your way to S, A and of course M. As questions come up teach it to her.
See if you can convince her to read the manual before she starts.
Don't over complicate it, make it fun.

12 years 11 months ago #80259 by ko98
Thanks for the advice.

12 years 11 months ago #80271 by Lisa JK
Oh one more thing, never give up. Try to remember back to your beginner days. I am sure there was a time you couldn't get the exposure correct or understand how the fstop works etc.. Take your time in teaching her and have fun.

12 years 11 months ago #80277 by photobod
For me teaching anyone close to you can be a dangerous thing and requires a strong relationship, (memories of teaching my mother and brother to drive).

Best of look take notice of the people above and remain patient.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #80477 by effron

photobod wrote: For me teaching anyone close to you can be a dangerous thing and requires a strong relationship, (memories of teaching my mother and brother to drive).

Or better yet, if your girlfriend is also your avatar, send her over and I will teach her........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #80489 by TheNissanMan

photobod wrote: For me teaching anyone close to you can be a dangerous thing and requires a strong relationship, (memories of teaching my mother and brother to drive).

:agree:

Let the arguments ensue...

Same principal as working with friends, be careful lol. I would advise about getting anyone to start with P or Auto as old habits die hard, personally would get her startded with AV/TV but everyone is different :)

12 years 11 months ago #80527 by Baydream

TheNissanMan wrote:

:agree:

Let the arguments ensue...

Same principal as working with friends, be careful lol. I would advise about getting anyone to start with P or Auto as old habits die hard, personally would get her startded with AV/TV but everyone is different :)

If you have not gone over the basics of A and S, Auto is the place to start. I used Auto for a couple of years and now can look at the EXIF data to better see how to set aperture and shutter speed. If you get "too deep" in to theory, you may lose them.
Some people would enjoy photography but never want to go past the snapshot phase, at least until they have a bit of success and learn some composition lessons.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #80537 by effron

ko98 wrote: My girlfriend has expressed interest in learning how to use my DSLR. In what order would I teach her stuff about the camera? I think if I could get her to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, & ISO, and how those setting affect a shot, that would get her off to a good start.

Is there somewhere else I should start instead?

Has anyone taught their spouse, or any family member/friend photography? How well did it go?

Seriously, my wife isn't allowed to touch my camera gear, she has her own little point and shoot, she's happy, I'm happier..........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #81261 by Homer
I'm touchy about anyone using my camera gear, including my wife or other family. I would have her watch a few getting started video's, take a online photography course and if still excited, buy her her own camera.

12 years 11 months ago #81277 by Nikonjan
Besides the camera don't forget composition. Rule of Thirds Etc.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #81515 by Happy-pixel

Nikonjan wrote: Besides the camera don't forget composition. Rule of Thirds Etc.

:goodpost:

Composition is key to any successful photographer, oh and time.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #82175 by KenMan
It's only a camera, let her use it when you around. If she likes it, then you pick her up one. If she doesn't like it, you haven't spent any money you didn't have to.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #82235 by Rob pix4u2
My wife now uses a DSLR quite well after some coaching and takes wonderful pix of her flowers, the cats etc. She still needs help changing lenses and uploading from the memory cards and shoots almost always on Program but she is coming along nicely in her learning curve. It is possible to teach to someone close if you take your time and aren't too critical when things don't come out right

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024