A special tribute

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #82995 by Baydream
There is an network of photographers who volunteer their time to take very special photos. The photos are of babies who are stillborn or have very short lives. It is a service to help the parents and families cope with their loss and heal through the grieving process.

The group is "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep".

www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...it-photographer#7136

I salute and thank those special photographers who provide this wonderful gift.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #82999 by MLKstudios
I have many former students who are members. Not the kind of work I'd like to do.

:(

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #83007 by photobod
I have just joined this group, they are active in the UK also, been with them for about 4 weeks so still waiting to be approved, not sure how I will feel when I do my first shoot but sure I will cope, I have 2 daughters both whom have lost children in the womb, not gotten to the stage these other parents have but I feel I can empathise in some way.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #83015 by Henry Peach
I sent NILMDTS an email many years back. I'd stumbled upon their website through a children's portrait photography forum. As a new father, and someone who was close to people who had lost their baby, I thought this sounded like a wonderful way to help the local community with my photography. I was very unpleasantly surprised when I received their information pack, and it was apparent that they had a political axe to grind as well. It included a list of requirements, very few had to do with my abilities as a photographer, that stated they weren't interested in working with photographers who supported pro-choice, political candidates. I couldn't believe it. The last thing I expected them to be concerned with in this sort of situation was how I voted. I've been photographing people for almost 20 years, and never once has the subjects' politics or my politics had to be brought up.
12 years 11 months ago #83029 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote: I sent NILMDTS an email many years back. I'd stumbled upon their website through a children's portrait photography forum. As a new father, and someone who was close to people who had lost their baby, I thought this sounded like a wonderful way to help the local community with my photography. I was very unpleasantly surprised when I received their information pack, and it was apparent that they had a political axe to grind as well. It included a list of requirements, very few had to do with my abilities as a photographer, that stated they weren't interested in working with photographers who supported pro-choice, political candidates. I couldn't believe it. The last thing I expected them to be concerned with in this sort of situation was how I voted. I've been photographing people for almost 20 years, and never once has the subjects' politics or my politics had to be brought up.

The background of "volunteers" is very important to the goals of the organization. I do believe an organization that does work this sensitive should know a great deal about who they are sending into delicate situations. The work they do is so critical that it needs to avoid being used for "political" gains. This was your choice and I respect it but NILMDTS needs to keep political opportunists out, even at the cost of losing excellent photographers such as yourself.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #83061 by mj~shutterbugg
It's a great organization that I would love to participate in. I tried and sent a portfolio in and was rejected. I am trying to beef up my people portfolio and resubmit it. I had no idea about the political aspects, that's a bit disconcerting. I just want to help those families that need those precious images. We have more losses than photographers in my area as when we lost our daughter they we're unable to help us and I was left without a camera. Luckily the hospital took some photos for us, that we treasure.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 11 months ago #83237 by TheNissanMan
Not heard of them before but would like to find out more about the UK arm...

12 years 11 months ago #83329 by Nikonjan
This group is always brought up at the Professional Photography conventions, it is so sad. A friend of mine went through the training. I just don't think I can do this, too emotional for me. But it is so needed.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #83367 by icepics
A friend at work was in a car accident and their baby only survived a few hours; they benefitted from a similar program at the hospital. It was in a large urban area so I'm not sure if the hospital is large enough to have their own program or if it was the group you mentioned. They treasured the photos of the short time they had with their son.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024