Prices going up

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #168422 by Henry Peach
Due to flooding where they make them, hard drives are expected to double in price. Get the ones on the shelf now before prices go up.

Adobe is changing the way their pricing works with upgrading Photoshop. In the past you could be a few versions behind, and still get the cheap upgrade price to the latest version. Next year you will only be able to upgrade from the immediate last version. If you skip an upgrade cycle you will have to pay full price. Looks like I'll be switching to Lightroom, because I rarely find the differences from consecutive versions of CS worth the price. I liked skipping one or two.
12 years 5 months ago #168457 by Rigby
Oh wow. I don't have photoshop, but thanks for the info. Where did you find this out?

12 years 5 months ago #168540 by geoffellis

Henry Peach wrote: Due to flooding where they make them, hard drives are expected to double in price. Get the ones on the shelf now before prices go up.

ya and theyll start to drop again once the factories are back on schedule. So unless you planned on buying one soon anyways, such as need or for an upcoming gift... theres really no need to rush out. if anything thats just going to increase the prices further because supply wont meet even more demand... LOL
12 years 5 months ago #168806 by Stealthy Ninja
I have more than enough HDDs... I can wait for the price to return to normal.
12 years 5 months ago #168828 by chasrich
I just bought a new drive... It is only one quarter full with 1.5 TB left. Thanks for the news...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #170159 by Kenya See
And with the holidays here too? Really a recipe for disaster

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #170161 by Baydream
Costco had a sign "Limit Two" on their Hard Drives this week due to the flooding. But a WD at 109.00 for 3TB, one was enough for now.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174932 by effron
In re: Adobe, that's not all, they are also going to license the product differently, more like a rental than an out right purchase. They are getting plenty of negative feedback, Scott Kelby also wrote an open letter to them explaining why their decisions might not be the best. Hopefully they will see the netflix like madness and do an about face.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174938 by Scotty

effron wrote: In re: Adobe, that's not all, they are also going to license the product differently, more like a rental than an out right purchase. They are getting plenty of negative feedback, Scott Kelby also wrote an open letter to them explaining why their decisions might not be the best. Hopefully they will see the netflix like madness and do an about face.....:angry:

You can already lease it. You'll be able to continue to buy it as well. You will have both options,

This is what our adobe rep said at my work.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #175149 by Stealthy Ninja
Went and looked at HDD with a friend today. Yep price is about double what it use to be. DVD drives are still cheap though.
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #175324 by Henry Peach
Most of the articles I'm reading say that HDDs should only go up in price about 10-20%, but it's easy to find sellers that are already marking prices up double what they were a few months ago. Some of the articles suggest that un-flooded manufacturers will be able to fill the gap fairly quickly, but others are claiming this could affect HDD cost for up to three years. Google "hard drive flooding" for lots of speculation...

I've got lots of space right now too, but I know how fast I can fill it up. I just don't want to have to spend $200 for $100 worth of HDD if this thing drags out. Once I've seen the lower price I can't go back! :pinch:

When I saw Scott Kelby's blog post I thought he might be a big enough name to get some response from Adobe. :) Adobe can do whatever they want/need to do. This has just made me realize that I probably don't need to keep upgrading CS, and that I would be wasting money to keep doing so whatever they decide. I can do 99% of my processing in Lightroom, or GIMP, or some other software. By the time CS4 is too old to run for the few things I need it for those other programs will have incorporated the CS tools I use.
12 years 5 months ago #175483 by geoffellis
Bought a hard drive in September... just went into the same store and the prices were literally unchanged. aside from the fact that the drive was 20$ on sale when i bought it, the list price was the same to like the cent.
12 years 5 months ago #175496 by Baydream
Just checked Costco today. Prices on HD's are the same (except some "coupons" have timed out) but the WD models are almost gone. The Seagates and others are still in decent supply. Costco has a policy of a specific markup (about 15%) and does not readjust to supply changes often. The 1, 1 1/2 and 2 TB drives (some portable) are still under $130.
I imagine when they run out, the new supply will reflect the current wholesale value.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024