- Boutique Baby Photography: The Digital Photographer's Guide to Success in Maternity and Baby Portraiture
- Sleeping Beauties: Newborns in Dreamland
- The Art of Pregnancy Photography
- Baby Love: An Affectionate Miscellany
- Children's Portrait Photography Handbook
- Photographing Children Photo Workshop
Congratulations on your new arrival. Now get ready to embark on a journey with your digital camera for the next twelve months. With your new bundle of joy, you’ll find it difficult to leave the room or house without your camera by your side. Babies grow in a blink of an eye, so you’ve got to catch every special moment before you look up and realize it’s time for him to leave for college.
If you have a digital camera, you’re in for a treat. Over a decade ago, analog cameras required rolls of film and a solid one to two day waiting period for developing, so parents crossed their fingers hoping their baby’s photos turned out okay. With the benefit of advanced technology, digital cameras help you save money and experience faster turnaround to share your newborn’s photos sooner with family and friends.
Before you start snapping photos of your newborn baby, make sure your camera batteries are charged, your SD card has space, and you follow these eight simple tips to create photos your family can cherish for a lifetime:
1) Choose natural light – Natural lighting helps reduce shadows and shows greater detail and color than indoor fluorescent lighting. Go outside with your new baby and snap those images during a morning walk or late afternoon stroll. If you prefer indoor photos, try using natural light from a north facing window or use a white wall or large sheet as a bright backdrop.
2) Zoom in for a close-up - Close-up shots provide a special focus on your newborn’s growth. It’s the perfect time to center in on your baby’s tiny feet, or catch your baby’s profile. If you’re looking for a professional appearance, close-ups help eliminate background distractions, like toys, baby supplies, or large furniture. And, remember to turn-off the flash, which might startle your baby or possibly produce red-eye in the shot.
3) Concentrate on proper focus- If you’re using a digital camera, take full advantage of the automatic focus feature. Unless you’re a professional, allow the camera to adjust focus on your baby and prevent blurry or fuzzy-looking photos.
4) Capture multiple photos at once – Babies are unpredictable making them fun to photograph. When your baby’s in a photographic mood, take several shots in one setting. You’re guaranteed to find several favorites, so you’ll feel comfortable deleting less impressive photos.
5) Recruit a partner – In the first few months, you’ll take plenty of photos with your baby lying down. Although you might want to capture your baby’s personality in different poses before he’s able to sit up alone. Grab a friend or family member to assist with propping baby up with a favorite toy, or swap places with your partner join in with your newborn.
6) Get down to your baby’s level- As you’re playing on the floor with your baby, have your camera ready to snap some shots from your her perspective. You’ll experience life at her level while creating memories through her eyes.
7) Go for black and white – Black and white exposures are a quick and simple way to achieve a classic, professional look with minor camera adjustment. Digital cameras make it easy to change from color to black and white. Check your camera’s user manual and experiment a little; you’ll discover a big difference in the look and feel of your shots.
8) Catch baby in any mood – Babies experience a wide range of emotions. They giggle, laugh, pout and cry. If your baby looks bored or distracted, instantly change his mood with funny faces or a favorite toy to make your baby chuckle before snapping a shot.
Life with a newborn passes faster than you expect. Whether you’re a professional or you never picked up a camera, document every moment you can with photos of your new baby. And, don’t worry about making professional-looking photos, just get your baby’s most candid moments and you’re guaranteed to make the most extraordinary memories.