- Speedlite 270EX II and Speedlite 320EX, which will give most beginners and amateur enthusiasts the powerful light source they need.
- Lightweight, compact design.
- Guide Number 27 (m, ISO100).
- Bounce flash head.
- Wireless slave function for off-camera flash.
- Trigger a Canon EOS camera with a remote release button.
- Variable angle of coverage.
- Fast, silent recycling.
- Estimated retail price of $169.99.
- Guide Number 32 (m, ISO100).
- Compact, lightweight design.
- Bounce-and-swivel flash head, with 24mm and 50mm manual-zoom settings.
- Integrated LED video light.
- Wireless slave for off-camera TTL flash.
- Remote release button.
- Fast, silent recycling.
- Estimated retail price of $249.00.
- Kevin Kubotas Lighting Notebook: 101 Lighting Styles and Setups for Digital Photographers
- Sketching Light: An Illustrated Tour of the Possibilities of Flash
- Off-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Photographers
- On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
- Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
- Understanding Flash Photography: How to Shoot Great Photographs Using Electronic Flash
The Speedlite 270EX II replaces the Speedlite 270EX, and was designed as Canon’s entry-level flash unit. It is compatible with various Canon camera bodies, including the EOS Rebel T3, EOS 600D and EOS 1100D DSLRs. In addition, it is an external flash option for select Canon PowerShot models. The Speedlite 320EX is a more robust flash unit that is intended for experienced amateurs who require more control of lighting. It matches well with the EOS Rebel T3i and the EOS 600D and EOS 1100D DSLRs. Either flash unit works with Canon’s distance-linked E-TTL II system, and have the versatility to be an on-camera light or slave units. Control is easy with a separate master unit or the Integrated Speedlite transmitter found on the EOS 600D, EOS 60D and EOS 7D cameras.
The Speedlite 270EX II
For most beginner digital photographers, the compact size of the Speedlite 270EX II is one of its most important benefits. Small enough to fit in your pocket, but powerful enough, with just two AA batteries, to illuminate indoor spaces and add fill light to outdoor pictures of family events and casual portraits. The unit quickly locks into place with its metal mounting foot. You’re then ready to shoot at a guide number of 27 (m/ISO 100) and manually control flash settings via your camera’s menu system. Reposition the Speedlite 270EX II head to one of four angle settings, from 0 to 90 degrees, to execute bounce flashes. The head will also zoom to distribute light efficiently across any scene or subject you are shooting.
You’ll also experience pro-like capabilities with the remote release function of the Speedlite 270EX II. Frame your image, wirelessly trigger the two-second shutter-release timer on the camera, and then relocate the flash unit. Your camera will then fire the flash and shutter.
Speedlite 270EX II Features
The Speedlite 320EX
It’s the power and versatility of the Speedlite 320EX that will capture the attention of mid-level digital photographers. Shooting with a guide number of 32 (m/ISO 100), the Canon 320EX has a bounce and swivel and manual zoom head, and operates with four AA batteries. You can place the head in six different positions to bounce the light off the ceiling for vertical shooting as well as the rear wall. The flash head can also be manually extended or retracted to adjust the flash coverage from 24mm to 50mm. The 320EX will enhance many photo shoots when it’s used as a secondary flash. You can select one of four channels on the Speedlite 320EX, when used as a slave unit, to create flash groups with different light output levels.
The Speedlite 320EX will also improve video shooting when paired with Canon cameras that have EOS movie mode. The flash unit comes with a LED continuous-light option, so you can shoot HD video with full-time lighting for short distances. Select Auto Light mode, when using the Speedlite 320EX with the Canon EOS 1100D or EOS 600D cameras, and the LED light automatically turns on or off, as it reads the ambient light of the scene.
Speedlite 320EX Features