RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151577 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Another thread added...

Please visit here before posting a new thread:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...ting-a-thread#124574

With all due respect Adrian shouldnt you be asking the originator of the thread if he/she wants it to be combined, isnt it there right in a democracy to have there own thread out there, you are assuming that everyone wants to go to one large thread for info, this site after all is about us all interacting and helping each other.
This an observation not a complaint by the way, I can see your purpose in what you are doing.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :toocrazy: :banana: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #151727 by MYoung
Another question. I'm reading some of your post and saw a thread talking about shooting in JPG vs RAW. But what I didn't understand is what does RAW photos do? What is the purpose of a RAW photo?

I found in my manual how to change the settings on my D7000 to shoot in RAW, but not getting clear answer on what does a RAW photo do for me?

Thank you

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151730 by MLKstudios
A JPEG is a processed image (using the camera's own processing chip). RAW is a digital negative. The file is bigger, contains more "data" and can be processed by YOU in post to bring out the best it has.

Many ask which one is "better"? That's easy. RAW is better than JPEG.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #151787 by VT Hiker

MYoung wrote: what does a RAW photo do for me?

Fulfill your wildest photography dreams. It's more magical than fairy dust. :lol:

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 6 months ago #151802 by Joves
As Matthew said the RAW id a digital negative and can be processed more if needed, with in reason though, if a shot is totally screwed then it wont fix that. I shoot RAW+ Jpeg Fine, that way if it only needs some minor touches then I touch up the Jpeg, if it needs a little more work then I process the RAW. Also RAW is an original file and for Copyright protection it will prove your case because it is a file that the offender will not have.

12 years 6 months ago #152121 by Monra
RAW photo can be processed more than JPG image. A RAW file has more information

My Articles
12 years 6 months ago #152141 by robbie
There are lots of info on the most popular questions here.....
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...re-starting-a-thread
Enjoy and.....:welcomeclan

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152198 by Henry Peach
Having the raw file gives you access to all the information captured by the camera for an exposure.

Even when your camera is set to jpeg it starts with this raw data, but then it processes the raw data into a jpeg according to the in-camera processing parameters you have set (or the factory defaults). The original raw data is not saved, only the finished jpeg.

If you have your camera set to raw or raw + jpeg it saves the original raw data.

There are several reasons starting with a raw file has the potential to be better than starting with a jpeg.

1) You have all the information possible. Some data is discarded in the jpeg processing, and this is not recoverable if it turns out later you need/want it. Whether this discarded information is important or not just depends, but with raw it's there. At any time you can go back to any step in the processing and change it or start over. The original raw file is never changed. A sidecar file that contains your processing instructions is where the changes are made.

2) Processing by inspection. You get to process the raw file as you look at it with your own eyeballs. If you have a correctly calibrated monitor it's pretty much a what you see is what you get situation.

3) Processing power. It is easy to find photo processing software that is more sophisticated and offers more options and control than the in-camera processing software.

4) Skill. With some study and practice you can probably learn to do a better job than the in-camera software does on it's own.

So raw vs jpeg is really just a choice of what tools you are using to do the processing. Raw is not better on it's own. The right tools and skill using them are usually required to get superior results from a raw file.

Having a raw file is like having all the ingredients to make a cake. You can mix up teh recipe as you wish, and if you need to try again just start over. The jpeg is like having the ingredients already mixed together or cooked, but not the individual raw ingrdients. There may be some changes you can make to the flavor, but you are limited to working with what you have. There is no starting over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
12 years 6 months ago #152530 by icepics
Good question - I'm still learning the digital technology. Comparing RAW to a negative helps, being able to relate it to what I've done in the darkroom turned on a lightbulb for me.

So what type of information does the jpeg process discard?

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152544 by Stealthy Ninja

robbie wrote: There are lots of info on the most popular questions here.....
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...re-starting-a-thread
Enjoy and.....:welcomeclan

I agree... I don't want to be mean, but if you were reading the other RAW vs Jpeg thread you should know what a RAW file does.

It's almost like you just wanted to start another thread. :dry:

If you want to further discuss this, please go here:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...eg-all-in-one-thread
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152547 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

With all due respect Adrian shouldnt you be asking the originator of the thread if he/she wants it to be combined, isnt it there right in a democracy to have there own thread out there, you are assuming that everyone wants to go to one large thread for info, this site after all is about us all interacting and helping each other.
This an observation not a complaint by the way, I can see your purpose in what you are doing.

Combining threads like this is very common practice on forums.

I specifically made a thread (linked in my signature and stickied in the beginners section) that has many RAW vs Jpeg style threads. There is and there was no need for a new one.

So to answer your question. No I don't need to ask them first, they should have looked about a bit first.

If the question is reasonably original I won't combine the thread, but we've had around 10 threads on the topic now and that is just messy.

12 years 6 months ago #152550 by Stealthy Ninja
I've just stickied this thread so it won't get lost at the bottom of the Photography General Talk section.

Enjoy.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152577 by icepics
Hey the OP is fairly new to the board and maybe didn't see the other thread. I find it hard myself to go through a long thread that's several pages to try to find some information. Although I see the point of posting it as a sticky to avoid the same questions over and over. Besides this is posted in the Beginner section so people don't have to look here if they don't want to read or answer beginner level questions.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152620 by effron
So, which is better, raw or jpeg????:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152638 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote:

Combining threads like this is very common practice on forums.

I specifically made a thread (linked in my signature and stickied in the beginners section) that has many RAW vs Jpeg style threads. There is and there was no need for a new one.

So to answer your question. No I don't need to ask them first, they should have looked about a bit first.

If the question is reasonably original I won't combine the thread, but we've had around 10 threads on the topic now and that is just messy.

I know you dont need to ask but isnt it just a courteous thing to do as this is the most friendly forum regarding photography, as I said it wasnt a complaint just an observation. as I said people like to have their own threads it makes them feel as though they are contributing positively, plus they may want the extra points !!, looking around isnt always easy as some of these threads disappear to the back pages very quickly and I know you will say they can go into a particular area to find it, but its my bet that most people on here will click on recent topics and go through a few pages depending on how much time they have, its just human nature. :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024