Is photography an art form?

13 years 3 months ago #14609 by marsden
My friend and I go round and round about whether photography is or is not an art form. My friend argues no, it's just a by-product of purchased equipment. Doesn't take talent to read a manual and learn to press buttons.

I feel sure it is an art form. Painting is considered an art form and yet the painter buys his canvas, his brushes and his paint. So the photographer purchases the equipment and the camera actually takes the shot. Doesn't the photographer's "eye" count for artistic talent. Knowing what will and will not be successfully captured and reproduced?

Anyone want to weigh in on this one?

13 years 3 months ago #14641 by iGeek
I strongly disagree. Granted anyone can pick up a camera and take a photo. The true art comes with those that have mastered composition. Composition is the backbone to photography, which makes in my honest opinion photography a true art form.

13 years 3 months ago #14647 by Karl Wertanen

iGeek wrote: I strongly disagree. Granted anyone can pick up a camera and take a photo. The true art comes with those that have mastered composition. Composition is the backbone to photography, which makes in my honest opinion photography a true art form.

You're half right... Composition yes, but you forgot light. When composition and that magic light come together, then you have photography as "art" at it's maximum level. :cheer:
13 years 3 months ago #14655 by Stealthy Ninja
It can be, but mainly it isn't.

Camera = a tool.
Paintbrush/pen/pencils = tools.
13 years 3 months ago #14660 by Scotty
If it's in museums, it's art.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14663 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: If it's in museums, it's art.

Cool. I'll just take my photos and blu-tack them on the wall. :D
13 years 3 months ago #14672 by Steven Swanson

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote: If it's in museums, it's art.

Cool. I'll just take my photos and blu-tack them on the wall. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13 years 3 months ago #14866 by The Original Daisy
I think so, now granted that "art form" of yours might not be appealing to others, as long as it works for you, then it's art. Well that's my opinion.

13 years 3 months ago #14870 by crystal
I think photography is art.
13 years 3 months ago #17188 by wicked_vickey
True - as far as you took it. But I know from personal experience there are hundreds, if not thousands, of really good artists out there who have never been lucky enough to get into a museum or art gallery.

13 years 3 months ago #17194 by wicked_vickey
I'll add another level to the discussion. I feel it depends on the subject whether it's a craft of an art form. If you are just taking a record picture of the babyk, your dog, parents, friends or even objects for insurance records, then it's a craft - simply a photo record.

The art comes from the beauty created by the photographer - if he cares to create it. The way he poses the subject, the care he takes in backgrounds, all those act to create the art.

13 years 3 months ago #17198 by ww515
My opinion? Photography is definitely an art form. the final result doesn't always turn out like art work. But neither do endeavors like cooking and/or making model airplanes. Or even playing a musical instrument. All of the have tools of the trade that are necessary for completion of the end product.

The "ART" aspect enters when "CREATIVITY" enters the fray. To be a creative person is to be an artist.

13 years 3 months ago #17213 by Baydream
Absolutely.
I paint - isn't that just paint, canvas and brushes PLUS creativity.
My wife hooks rugs - isn't that just wool, canvas or linen and a hook PLUS creativity
Our close friend is a well known potter - isn't that just clay, hands and shaping tools - PLUS creativity
Photography - isn't that just a camera, media (digital or film), print or projector - PLUS creativity

It's the creativity that makes these tools and materials art. Many paintings are not "good" art and many photos are not "good" art. Both the ones that are REALLY good are art. And art is so subjective, no one person can make the declaration.
You can't convince me that an Ansel Adams or a Dewitt Jones are not artists in their own right.

Whew.:blink:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #17224 by Stealthy Ninja
Sure photography is an art.

But so is fingerpainting.
:whistle:

Being mainly a pro video guy who's into photography for fun (and occasional profit when I feel like it). I always tease my pro-photographer friend like this:

"Video takes a lot of work to get it right and people appreciate that films need a large budget and people and effort. You can just go there on your own and just have to press a button."

:woohoo:

I know it's not true, but it's funny.
13 years 3 months ago #17786 by ski47
To become an effective photographer requires as much training as a painter, a musician or a good chef. I vot for photography as an art form.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024