$3800 to spend on camera and lenses

9 years 7 months ago #400296 by TGonzo
Hello photography talk website.

I'm new to photography and for the last year have managed to save up just about $3,800.  Actually next Friday I'll have $4,200.  I currently have a Sony Cybershot point and shoot camera and want to move to something better.  

At first I was looking at different DSLR's and was on the fence with Nikon and Canon models.  Then I was getting told by friends (I joined a Meetup photography group) that I might want to look at mirrorless cameras.  Then last week which is how I found out about this website, a friend emailed me an interview about the Panasonic gh4 camera.  If I understand correctly that is mirrorless too.  But also something called 4 thirds?  Honestly I'm completely lost now.  

I want something that will allow me to really jump into photography.  So the $4200 (next week figure) will need to get my a camera body and as many lenses as I can.  

Can you recommend what you would buy with that?  Please suggest camera body and lenses.  Thank you so much!!

Tim

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #400334 by KCook
The Panasonic GH4 is a Micro4/3 format camera.  The numbers 4 and 3 really aren't that important, just know that this sensor size is a little smaller than the typical DSLR sensor.  The main benefit from the smaller sensor is smaller, lighter, lenses.

Really jump into photography is a really deep pool.  Many of us did this stepwise, starting with a modest camera, work our way up.  At least that is a good route for a enthusiast.  If you are certain that you will be shooting professionally ASAP, then the big jump to expensive gear could be justified.  Different strokes for different folks.  Links for a whole lot of opinions -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-you-buy-your-camera

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...to-mirrorless-camera

www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...751-does-size-matter

digital-photography-school.com/crop-factor-explained

www.thephoblographer.com/2014/08/30/pick...t-mirrorless-camera/

photographylife.com/mirrorless-vs-dslr

Kelly Cook
(enthusiast)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #400336 by Pettigrew
I would go with a Nikon D610 for $1900 new and one 24-70mm 

If you are OK with buying used, buy your 24-70mm and a 70-200mm from www.keh.com  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400354 by Randy Shaw
 I'm must recommend the Sony A7 camera.  It's mirrorless, smaller than most DSLR cameras and feels good in the hands with good features IMO. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400372 by garyrhook
I would encourage you to slow down. You're not ready to make a purchase yet.
  1. Do your homework and figure out whether you want a DSLR or a mirrorless system. You need to understand the technical differences between them to make a proper decision.
  2. Whatever you choose will (for the most part) dictate your lens options for the future. Choose wisely as to format and brand.
  3. What do you want to shoot? That will impact your choice of lens(es). Until you can answer this question and know what you want to to, you may possibly make a very poor and expensive decision.
If you go with a DSLR, but you are not sure what you want to shoot, An inexpensive 50mm prime lens will give you a good, general purpose setup that you can practice with and learn from. Then, after you gain experience, you can make a more sensible choice for additional lenses.

If at all possible, go put your hands on any candidates. You need to know how the feel in your hands.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #400381 by Robert Chen
Save some bucks, buy a used camera body and go with Gary's advice and pick up a 50mm.  Master the 50mm, figure out if photography is for you.  By that time, you would have gained an understanding of what direction you want to go with your photography.  Then... you'll be in a much better position to figure out what camera you want. 

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400477 by TGonzo
So many options!  You guys are going to keep me busy today.  Thank you all.  I'm going to review these options and come back in a bit to respond with possible further questions.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400600 by Ben Vanderbilt
As much as I love my DSLR, I think mirrorless is going to be the future for photography, so being new, I'd swing towards the future and figure out which mirrorless is best for you.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400666 by Don Fischer
I don't think it matter's a bit if mirrorless is the future of photography, find what you like now and go with it. I keep looking for a point and shoot type digital to carry around with me. Have tried 3 or 4 and didn't really care for any of them. The mirrorless seem's to me to be an advanced point and shoot type. I think some have a view finder but they are weird looking through. But even though most do take good photo's. I think they designed them for people that like to look at the screen on the back to compose, I can't get my mind around that. 

If i was starting out now, I'd get a mid range DSLR, D7000 or D7100 would work. B&H has the D7000 refurbished for around $600. I wouldn't go with a prime lens either. Something like the 18-105 or maybe better yet the 18-140 would work well. People can say what they want about prime lens but most people like myself couldn't do them justice. On the other hand the other two lens do great for me. Think starting over I'd get the 18-140 and the 70-300. Those two lens cover a lot of ground and used properly can take far better photo's than they get credit for.

9 years 7 months ago #400752 by TGonzo
Hi Don, thank you for your help.  What all does refurbish mean in terms of condition of the camera? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400754 by KCook
Of course a refurbished camera will likely be an older model, not the very latest.  Also see -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/lenses/145...to-buy-or-not-to-buy

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #400774 by TGonzo
Thank you Kelly

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400776 by Don Fischer
B&H say's they are completely refurbished by the camera company. I've got a few re-furbished lens and they appear new. You don't get the factory warranted but do get a B&H one. I know Adorama does the same thing. If I could afford it, I'd get one of the D7000 right now. Everything you get with a new camera come's in the box but it's not the normal factory box.

9 years 7 months ago #400946 by Tim Burg
Welcome to the photography world!

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401572 by TGonzo
Thanks again everyone

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024