Photographer arrested for not giving police his camera

9 years 4 months ago #421418 by Damon
Here we go again.  What's your view of this piece of photographic news:   www.app.com/story/news/local/ocean-count...r-arrested/21579329/  

9 years 4 months ago #421468 by effron
The cop is wrong, and the photographer is stupid. Two stubborn idiots make the news, who would have thunk it?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421487 by Office Guy
:agree:   if he was more cool headed, this could have been avoided 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421499 by icepics
From what I can tell the guy doesn't seem to be actually working for a legit media outlet.

The website he's supposedly taking photos for seems to be a website started in 2013 and done by one guy named Charlie. I don't see an address (which I think is needed for a registered business), or a list of staff, reporters, editors, circulation dept., etc. - nobody, except one woman's name who according to the site is a single mom writing for the site.

Where are this so-called photo journalist's pictures? I didn't find any photo credits with his name on the site, all I saw were what look like stock photos or poor quality cell phone (or at best p&s) pictures.

I took a look at the site's privacy and legal info. - looks like if you sign up to use the site your information may be sold, etc., so I suppose that might be why they want attention from an incident like this, to help them get more people to follow them.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421527 by Tony Imaging
Both were hot heads

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421582 by EOS_Fan
:blink:   well that was painful to watch

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421602 by garyrhook
I don't understand. How was the photographer stupid? I did not hear him raise his voice in any strident way (on the 10+) minute cell phone video). He simply stood his ground.

Or did I miss something?

icepics wrote: From what I can tell the guy doesn't seem to be actually working for a legit media outlet.

The website he's supposedly taking photos for seems to be a website started in 2013 and done by one guy named Charlie. I don't see an address (which I think is needed for a registered business), or a list of staff, reporters, editors, circulation dept., etc. - nobody, except one woman's name who according to the site is a single mom writing for the site.

Where are this so-called photo journalist's pictures? I didn't find any photo credits with his name on the site, all I saw were what look like stock photos or poor quality cell phone (or at best p&s) pictures.

I took a look at the site's privacy and legal info. - looks like if you sign up to use the site your information may be sold, etc., so I suppose that might be why they want attention from an incident like this, to help them get more people to follow them.

<snark>I just love conflation.</snark> Absolutely none of that is relevant. The officer was wrong, period. If the guy was a butthead and handled it wrong, so be it; he got arrested anyway. But it doesn't seem to me that the photographer was going to be sent on his way, property intact.

His employment situation and the website have nothing to do with the situation. He was given access to the scene, right or wrong; at that point his credentials became irrelevant as well. The only issue here is the attempt to confiscate his personal property when no crime had been committed. We don't like that.

Seems pretty one-sided to me: the officer seems to not understand the law.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421720 by Robert Chen
I saw this already and think the police officer was over reacting.  Big surprise and something you don't hear to often on the news?  :rofl:

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421976 by Jakov Barnes

effron wrote: The cop is wrong, and the photographer is stupid. Two stubborn idiots make the news, who would have thunk it?

+1

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #421986 by Joves
Well I am with Gary on this.
First someone on the scene gave him access to the area, so they really could not say that he intruded, or was interfering. Which is something he could be charged for.
Second what is defined as being press in this day and age has changed quite a bit. Even some bloggers are considered bonafide news people. While many think that this is not correct, it is usually the entrenched powers that hold this view. So while their following maybe small, they maybe reporting locally. Also this brings up the only charge that could have been tenuously leveled, and that is impersonation, but again the officer would be hard pressed to get that to hold. Also the person who allowed them in is more at fault than the photographer.
Third we still have the Fourth Amendment which states that you do not have to surrender your property, and special effects because someone tells you to. I also would have told the officer no. But then I would have shot with a longer lens outside of the actual scene. Which according to what I saw when I first saw this item, would not have mattered to that officer. He would have wanted the same thing even if the photographer was further away. This is due to the fact that a fellow officer was involved, not for any other. The only thing the officer could request from him was to ask if he would maybe email him some copies for his files. In which case it is something you could choose to do or not. And since it would have been a request, would be legal. Taking of property is still not allowed yet. Which I will not go into how if certain people that supposedly serve us would have it would be different. 
Also the photographer at no point and time has to be polite. That is so long as they are civil. This means no obscenities, and no insulting behavior. I can be very civil, and polite while being uncooperative at the same time. Though I have had many years of practice in perfecting that art form when dealing with authorities.
I think what bothers me more is that people see someone standing up for their rights as being stupid. Because even being stupid is a right, so long as your stupidity is not in doing something illegal.

9 years 4 months ago #421999 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: Which according to what I saw when I first saw this item, would not have mattered to that officer. He would have wanted the same thing even if the photographer was further away. This is due to the fact that a fellow officer was involved, not for any other.

:agree:  And not just because you're agreeing with me.

It's possible that the officer did not understand that it is perfectly legal and acceptable to record the actions of public servants during the execution of their duties. The highest courts in the land have confirmed this is so. 

I'll bet he wan't bothering the clowns with the mobile phones.

In any event, well said, Joves.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #422286 by icepics
Seems like the situation could have been handled better; the police maybe need to firm up their procedures on who allows access at the scene of an accident or crime or other incident. It does make a difference having credentials; that allows access that the general public does not have. Chances are, the police would know reporters and news photographers in their area and vice versa. I'd expect they'd have procedures on how they cooperate with authorities at the scene.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024