Thoughts on buying refurbished camera gear?

6 years 8 months ago #538289 by Vladimir
I got another email form Nikon yesterday about their refurbished camera gear for sale. What constitutes gear as being refurbished?  

Would you buy refurbished gear from manufacture?  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538295 by rmeyer7
Generally a product that's refurbished by the manufacturer (as opposed to a 3rd party) is something that's used but has been restored to factory specifications. I've bought several manufacturer-refurbished items and had no problems with them.

In some cases manufacturer refurbs can be better than new. Not necessarily with camera gear, but Apple products for example are tested thoroughly after being refurbished, to make sure you get something that's truly as good as new.

6 years 8 months ago #538301 by effron
Used lightly. Its usually gear returned within the initial warranty period,  like Amazon's or B&H's thirty day "unconditional" return policy. They can't sell as new, so Nikon will repair, CLA and offer as refurbished....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538323 by Baydream
I have several refurbished lenses from Canon and they are letter-perfect. Usually functionally better than new because they are individually checked out.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538334 by Prago
If there was a warranty I would.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538407 by Glen Mosley

rmeyer7 wrote: Generally a product that's refurbished by the manufacturer (as opposed to a 3rd party) is something that's used but has been restored to factory specifications. I've bought several manufacturer-refurbished items and had no problems with them.

In some cases manufacturer refurbs can be better than new. Not necessarily with camera gear, but Apple products for example are tested thoroughly after being refurbished, to make sure you get something that's truly as good as new.

:agree:  True, that's why always buy from major manufacture if you are going to buy refurbished.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538436 by Gene.Culley
I prefer new, mainly because I like to know the history of the gear.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538446 by Screamin Scott
I had one (D70s), and still have another one (D7100), DSLR cameras I bought as new, one I bought used (D300) & three (D610, Oly EP-3 & Oly OMD EM-10) I bought as manufacturer refurbished. All have worked with no issues. To save money, I prefer manufacturer refurbs as they cost less & I know they are a USA and not a gray market product. The fact of the short Nikon warranty does not bother me as I have never had to use one anyway.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538518 by Roger Lang
Personally I only buy new

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538645 by Happy Hour
You know what, I almost bought a refurbished camera a couple years ago. I don't have much issue if properly refurbished and it has a good warranty. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538676 by John Ledder
If it has a warranty same as new, then yes

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538679 by Shadowfixer1

John Ledder wrote: If it has a warranty same as new, then yes

Refurb warranty is never the same as new. You can buy extended warranties though.
6 years 8 months ago #538727 by Don Granger
I might be wrong, but doesn't Nikon offer same warranty on refurbished as their new?

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538728 by Screamin Scott
Nikon's warranty on refurbished gear is 90 days. That said, I have never had the need to use the warranty of new or refurbished gear since I have been shooting (started in the late 60's). I have however had to have repairs on gear that was long out of warranty. 

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538910 by Chris Briggs
90 days isn't all that exciting.  How much of a price difference are we talking here?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024