Painted Lens Hood - color cast same color?

5 years 10 months ago #588589 by Harrison J
I was looking at another photographers lens hood yesterday down by the lake.  They had painted it bright red inside and out.  I didn't speak to the guy, so don't know his reasons for this.  However this morning I was thinking further about that, and correct me if I'm wrong with that being red, won't that in bright light situations cast a red color in all his photos? 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588648 by Meskill
It's possible.  I've never tried, so can't say with 100% certainty.   

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588673 by Stanly
Sure, I guess so.   I've never heard of anyone painting their lens hoods red, so can't say for certainty.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588682 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day HJ

The qwik answer is 'yes it most certainly will influence the colour of the image'.

Years ago [film days] I came across a fashion 'tog who was shooting models thru a shrt cardboard tube so that the reflected colours from the tube subtly altered the resulting image colours. He knew what he was doing and it came out okay - but I hate to think how many attempts he made in the experimental stage !

I also know from one of my lens hoods used when I am out at 600mm or longer - the hood is 8" / 200mm long - if it has dust inside it and the sun is reflecting into the hood [but not into the glass], it does influence the colours of the image

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 10 months ago #588685 by effron
I wonder why someone would paint a lens hood red?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588719 by Sawyer

effron wrote: I wonder why someone would paint a lens hood red?

You know I was thinking the same thing.  That just brings more attention to your gear.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588777 by Ian Stone
Course it would

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588811 by Baydream
I might paint the outside of the hood just so I wouldn't lose some damn many. As for the inside, the purpose is to absorb extraneous light. Painting it any other color will reduce the spectrum of light absorbed. It WILL result in a shift based on the color. If you want to experiment, cut liners from construction paper and place them inside the hood. This will simulate the effect of painting without screwing up your hand. Then try a series of the same shot to see the impact. Since construction paper has the roughness, it will absorb about the same light.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588817 by Kenya See
If that was the case, isn't there red and yellow cameras floating around out there from the camera makers?  So why wouldn't the manufactures pick up on this then?

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588836 by garyrhook

Kenya See wrote: If that was the case, isn't there red and yellow cameras floating around out there from the camera makers?  So why wouldn't the manufactures pick up on this then?

The outside of the camera is not the same as the interior of a lens hood. And in general, light reflecting off a camera body isn't going to go into the lens. Geometry won't allow.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
5 years 10 months ago #588992 by ThatNikonGuy
LOL this reminds me of that yellow D4 floating around the photo scene last year. :rofl:

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #589039 by Harrison J
That's what I thought.  I wonder if the guy spends a ton of time in post wondering why the photos have red hue in them.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024