If Ansel Adams were here today. What camera would he be using?

5 years 2 months ago #632492 by Kyle O
I just finished looking through a new book I got :Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs.  And wow.   If you want inspiration, this is a good book to have. 

I would love to hear what others would think about this.  If Ansel Adams somehow came back to life today, what camera do you think he would use? 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632494 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kyle

Good question - and with tongue in cheek I'd reply "the same one as before coz he was an absolute master - producing masterpieces with it"

But presuming that he 'went digital' - he probably would go for a very-large sensor camera, way above our little 'toys'. Lenses - probably would have had 2 primes - so-called 'normal' and maybe a 'wide' for whatever sensor sized body he was using

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #632496 by Nikon Shooter
I dare suggest he would go for the Trichromatic XF iQ4!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632647 by Moe
Leica or NIKON D850

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632969 by Kenya See
Some sort of Leica or large format camera.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #633247 by Tim Burg
Something like already mentioned - large format.  Seems more him by what I've seen in books. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #633420 by jeffnles1
He used the larger format film cameras a lot because his darkroom technique benefited from the increased size of the film image.  I'm not sure he would be using a medium format or a big sensor camera in the digital world.  I believe, if he were alive today and shooting as a young man, he would gravitate toward the digital with the highest practical MP count (i.e. D850, Sony A9,  etc) and would be an absolute master at post processing techniques to produce stunning images.

5 years 1 month ago #633539 by Rob Conley
1000% one of those huge a$$ large formate cameras.  Just seems more 'him'.  Not trying to be stereotypical, but that's just what I vision him carrying around. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024