Self-portrait without showing yourself.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #35790 by Baydream

Scotty wrote:

Baydream wrote:

digishutterbug wrote: OK, let's think outside the box. Two facts about me - I am half Irish and I like to knit. Could this sample of an Irish knitting pattern be a portriat of who I am without showing myself?

:judge:
By Jove. I think you got it. The instructor was not referring to your physical being, nut to the fabric of your being. Who you are, not what to look like.
Now THAT is truly thinking "outside the box". Congratulations.
:owned:

Then don't call it a self portrait :catfight:

:duel: A "portrait" is who the person is. The pure definition may be the image of a person but this was a great way to get people to explore other ways to show the world who they are and not just what they look like.
Give it a try, chasrich, and show us. It can be an exercise about introspection and reflection. Not a bad thing for any of us.

player. How does this "stack up" against the assignment?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #35800 by digishutterbug
Per Meririam-Webster dictionary:

: picture; especially : a pictorial representation of a person usually showing the face

Note where it says usually.

Life is not always literal.

Come on guys show us who you are.

13 years 2 months ago #35985 by jennyjohn52
I think the half-Irish knitter is on the right track. I have over 3000 books in my house, and I also do alot of counted cross-stitch and crocheting. Here's the picture I chose that I think represents who I am, at least in my leisure hours.

Attachments:
13 years 2 months ago #35987 by player
Kudos to the first one to grasp the concept here. You identify yourself as half-Irish and a knitter and that's what your photo shows. This is what I was aiming for in the assignment.

13 years 2 months ago #35988 by Baydream

player wrote: Kudos to the first one to grasp the concept here. You identify yourself as half-Irish and a knitter and that's what your photo shows. This is what I was aiming for in the assignment.

Way to go, Margaret.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 1 month ago #35989 by player
Yep, you've definitely grasped the concept. Photography is not only capturing what's right in front of you, but presenting a view to the world that expresses ideas and concepts about the photographer himself/herself. Every piece of artwork is a self-portait to a certain extent because it is an extension of the photographer's mind and eye.

13 years 2 months ago #36007 by Stealthy Ninja
Here's mine:

This symbolized the blankness of my heart and the unknown of the future state of being that will combine in the esoteric post-modernism that threatens symbolism behind the delicate bulletin. When will symbolism confront the viewer? Should it warm to the mortal? Post-modernism seconds symbolism. Feelings of respect for the world are expressed though leaving the lens cap on.
13 years 2 months ago #36017 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Here's mine:

This symbolized the blankness of my heart and the unknown of the future state of being that will combine in the esoteric post-modernism that threatens symbolism behind the delicate bulletin. When will symbolism confront the viewer? Should it warm to the mortal? Post-modernism seconds symbolism. Feelings of respect for the world are expressed though leaving the lens cap on.

As the Peanuts character says, "You're weird, sir". :toocrazy: But we like it that way.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #36019 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Here's mine:

As the Peanuts character says, "You're weird, sir". :toocrazy: But we like it that way.

:banana:
13 years 2 months ago #36217 by digishutterbug

player wrote: Kudos to the first one to grasp the concept here. You identify yourself as half-Irish and a knitter and that's what your photo shows. This is what I was aiming for in the assignment.

Thank you Player.

13 years 2 months ago #36220 by chasrich
Kudos Margaret. I'd post something too but my Grandson is visiting so I'm running trying to keep up with him.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #36224 by Rob pix4u2

Ok so this is my RE-Do
Camera, Flash unit, battery
Stethescope, Bandage Scissors, Hemodialysis clamps, Tourniquet
Hockey Pucks, Mini-Stick, Pen
these all represent me

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 2 months ago #36226 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Ok so this is my RE-Do
these all represent me

That's the spirit. :banana:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #36235 by chasrich

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Ok so this is my RE-Do
these all represent me

:judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago #36237 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024