Are there too many wanna be photographers these days???

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #87393 by DavidandJess
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you have noticed that there are alot of nice cameras out there therefore alot of people have decided that they are photographers.

My wife and I have noticed at weddings that we shoot that there are more and more wanna be photographers with nice cameras. What do you think??

12 years 10 months ago #87397 by Stanly
I think as technology becomes less and less expensive, you will see more and more people coming out of the wood work with nice cameras. Some people perception is that "I have a nice PROFESSIONAL looking camera, so that makes me a PRO". IMO opinion that is where you get many of these Craigslist photographers for hire.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87399 by Johnnie
With the improved advancements in camera technology it is not difficult for anyone to take a decent photograph. People buy what they can afford and some just like to keep up with the Jones. The business of photography has sparked many until they realize it takes more than a camera to be successful. There will always be Uncle Joe and Aunt Sally with the expensive - impressive camera that because they can get one nicely composed, color balanced photo out of five hundred shots, that they are now experts.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidandJess
12 years 10 months ago #87405 by KCook

some just like to keep up with the Jones.

My guess is that is what is driving 90% of consumer DSLR sales. They aren't trying to be pros. Just want the best results and assume an expensive camera automatically delivers superior photos. So they never try manual mode. Ever.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 10 months ago #87407 by Rob pix4u2
I have noticed folks over the years who facied themselves as "Pro" level because they had a top shelf camera- I've also noticed that I am still shooting after these wanna be photographers have moved on to the next big thing in their lives. It always amazes me the number of folks who think " It's the CAMERA" that does the work- not the creative person behind the viewfinder !

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidandJess
12 years 10 months ago #87411 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I have noticed folks over the years who facied themselves as "Pro" level because they had a top shelf camera- I've also noticed that I am still shooting after these wanna be photographers have moved on to the next big thing in their lives. It always amazes me the number of folks who think " It's the CAMERA" that does the work- not the creative person behind the viewfinder !

:goodpost: I turned down a wedding job because I did not feel qualified. Just because I was shooting a 50th anniversary party with two cameras, peoples thought I was a pro. :cheer: I am referring them to some friends who are. I know my place, and right now it is "avid enthusiast".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #87421 by Cre8tivefix
Nah. I think the work speaks for itself. And every photographer had to start somewhere. Those "wannabes" may be the future Greats. I admire anyone wanting to try, and enjoy encouraging others. I guess I take the comment personally to a point, because I AM one of those. :silly: I got myself a fancy camera and POOF went after business, or I should say business went after me. I started getting requests simply based on my camera, and I explained that I was very new to it, but willing to try. First sessions were free or bartered and moved up from there. I've been learning as I go, and for whatever odd reason, business is good. I was photographing a graduation the other week (I was hired) and a young boy with a fancy camera (his dad's) wanted to catch some of my shots, He was kind of lurking behind me trying to shoot around me so I motioned him over to sit next to me and told him to just go for it. He sure did. LOL He was really into it, I had to reel him back once, but it didn't bother me at all. And I will be the first to admit that he probably got some better shots that I did.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mc_hudd
12 years 10 months ago #87433 by Rob pix4u2

Cre8tivefix wrote: Nah. I think the work speaks for itself. And every photographer had to start somewhere. Those "wannabes" may be the future Greats. I admire anyone wanting to try, and enjoy encouraging others. I guess I take the comment personally to a point, because I AM one of those. :silly: I got myself a fancy camera and POOF went after business, or I should say business went after me. I started getting requests simply based on my camera, and I explained that I was very new to it, but willing to try. First sessions were free or bartered and moved up from there. I've been learning as I go, and for whatever odd reason, business is good. I was photographing a graduation the other week (I was hired) and a young boy with a fancy camera (his dad's) wanted to catch some of my shots, He was kind of lurking behind me trying to shoot around me so I motioned him over to sit next to me and told him to just go for it. He sure did. LOL He was really into it, I had to reel him back once, but it didn't bother me at all. And I will be the first to admit that he probably got some better shots that I did.

I agree to the point that there are some folks who are SERIOUS about photography and I never mind helping them to get better. Last hockey season a student at the local community college just walked up to me and started asking if I minded him asking me questions. Now he is learning from me and I take him along whenever I can. He is a good learner and I'm enjoying teaching him the craft as much as I can. I was referring to those people who are truly not interested in the work but in the glory of being called a "Pro" . I know several in particular who at times were more of a pain in my side than working to be/get better at photography. AS i said I'm still shooting - they have given up.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #87439 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Cre8tivefix wrote: Nah. I think the work speaks for itself. And every photographer had to start somewhere. Those "wannabes" may be the future Greats. I admire anyone wanting to try, and enjoy encouraging others. I guess I take the comment personally to a point, because I AM one of those. :silly: I got myself a fancy camera and POOF went after business, or I should say business went after me. I started getting requests simply based on my camera, and I explained that I was very new to it, but willing to try. First sessions were free or bartered and moved up from there. I've been learning as I go, and for whatever odd reason, business is good. I was photographing a graduation the other week (I was hired) and a young boy with a fancy camera (his dad's) wanted to catch some of my shots, He was kind of lurking behind me trying to shoot around me so I motioned him over to sit next to me and told him to just go for it. He sure did. LOL He was really into it, I had to reel him back once, but it didn't bother me at all. And I will be the first to admit that he probably got some better shots that I did.

I agree to the point that there are some folks who are SERIOUS about photography and I never mind helping them to get better. Last hockey season a student at the local community college just walked up to me and started asking if I minded him asking me questions. Now he is learning from me and I take him along whenever I can. He is a good learner and I'm enjoying teaching him the craft as much as I can. I was referring to those people who are truly not interested in the work but in the glory of being called a "Pro" . I know several in particular who at times were more of a pain in my side than working to be/get better at photography. AS i said I'm still shooting - they have given up.

:agree:
I have noted this before but I bears repeating. At National Geographic, Dewitt Jones' boss, Bob Gilka, gave him some advice that applies to us all. He told Dewitt, “You don’t have to prove yourself, not to me or to the other photographers." Dewitt added, "“Improve ourself? That’s a different story. There’s so much for all of us to learn to make our vision clearer, stronger, sharper. And Gilka knew that the fastest way to learn is to trust and share rather than compete.”

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87441 by Cre8tivefix

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

I don't mind people who are just into buying the fancy stuff for looks either. :) Because that just bring that much more equipment within my used price range. That and the more bad photographers there are out there, the more the really good ones will stand out.

12 years 10 months ago #87445 by chasrich
Consumers help us...
a. Get better equipment faster through increased RD and product development.
b. Keep profits and competition healthy and prices lower.
c. Supply a neverending supply of used stuff on eBay.
d. My camera is a Chick magnet - I mean totally. When I step from my beater old Chevy truck and haul out my big Canon with the expanding length lens. I turn from feeling like a turnup farmer into a photographic ROCK STAR! Viva the belief in images... :woohoo:

Encourage everyone to believe that it's the camera. Those with any real sense will figure out the secret soon enough. :evil:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix
12 years 10 months ago #87461 by photobod
At the end of the day they are there wether pros like it or not, its the nature of the beast, I get my bookings by word of mouth and if I lose any so what life goes on, I am certainly not going to worry about it as there are more important things to worry about, like my health.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #87463 by Henry Peach

SecondShooters wrote: Are there too many wanna be photographers these days???

Yes, I blame George Eastman! :lol:

"Somebody let the rabble in." -Lewis Carroll, dedicated colliodian process photographer, on the sudden popularity of photography after Kodak cameras and roll film were introduced.

EDIT: I think when point-n-shoots have zero shutter button lag and decent high ISO quality the popularity of DSLRs will fade.
12 years 10 months ago #87495 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote:

SecondShooters wrote: Are there too many wanna be photographers these days???

Yes, I blame George Eastman! :lol:

"Somebody let the rabble in." -Lewis Carroll, dedicated colliodian process photographer, on the sudden popularity of photography after Kodak cameras and roll film were introduced.

EDIT: I think when point-n-shoots have zero shutter button lag and decent high ISO quality the popularity of DSLRs will fade.

I'm not sure. The iPhones will take over from the P&S models and the status-conscious will still but the DSLR's just like they buy the Porsches and can't parallel park.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87507 by Henry Peach

Baydream wrote: The iPhones will take over from the P&S models...

I agree. I think it's already pretty much happened. I consider the cell phone cams to be point-n-shoots with additional features. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024