Are there too many wanna be photographers these days???

12 years 10 months ago #87509 by effron
Are there too many wanna be photographers these days???

Yes.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #87541 by MLKstudios
This topic comes up on occasion and HP is right. It was Eastman that made the slogan, "You push the button, we do the rest", over 100 years ago.

As an artist, don't worry about the others. They come and go. Be your own "best" critic and focus on your own growth. As far as I know, cream still rises.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix, DavidandJess, silverback07
12 years 10 months ago #87559 by Henry Peach
An article at PBS

www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/eastman/peopleevents/pande13.html

Watch out for the "camera fiend" !!! :evil: Somebody just posted about being called a pervert.

Another article

www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/kodk/hd_kodk.htm

People have enjoyed photography at varying levels for a long time. The instant feedback of digital makes learning easy, and is fun and inspiring. It doesn't surprise me that lots of people are into it.
12 years 10 months ago #87611 by TheNissanMan
Are there to many Pro's, No. Are there too many Semi-Pro's, maybe!

To me a Pro is someone who makes his living from the camera and can perform on queue 95% of the time, a semi-pro is the bod with the camera who thinks he can, goes and shoots and cocks up 50% of the time.

Semi's will come and go but a Pro who will always come recommended will stay around until he's ready to hang up the camera.

12 years 10 months ago #87615 by Baydream

TheNissanMan wrote: Are there to many Pro's, No. Are there too many Semi-Pro's, maybe!

To me a Pro is someone who makes his living from the camera and can perform on queue 95% of the time, a semi-pro is the bod with the camera who thinks he can, goes and shoots and cocks up 50% of the time.

Semi's will come and go but a Pro who will always come recommended will stay around until he's ready to hang up the camera.

:agree: It like the semi-pro graphic artist, plumber, computer repair person, and so on. They will undercut the pros prices, sometimes deliver the goods, not pay the taxes and move on.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #88035 by Stealthy Ninja

SecondShooters wrote: Hey everyone, I was wondering if you have noticed that there are alot of nice cameras out there therefore alot of people have decided that they are photographers.

My wife and I have noticed at weddings that we shoot that there are more and more wanna be photographers with nice cameras. What do you think??

It's "a lot" not "alot" though I could allot some time to do a lot of photography work I suppose. :p

Yeh I notice this often. Usually they have the cheaper cameras with kit lenses on it. I usually get my way because I'm quite big and my camera is larger than theirs.

TheNissanMan wrote: Are there to many Pro's, No. Are there too many Semi-Pro's, maybe!

You get some pros (under your definition) that suck and some semi-pros/amateurs that are awesome.

I actually agree with your definition that they make most of their living from photography. Just not your confidence in their abilities.

Oh and it's "cue" not "queue". Though I'm sure they can do it while lining up for their social welfare payments. :whistle:
12 years 10 months ago #88079 by Rob pix4u2
it's too early in the morning here to be philosophical but we started the "pro" debate again and the subject was wanna be. Like David i've been on disability due to back surgery the past couple years and am just getting my business back together, so I take the wanna be issue to heart cuz I WANNA BE BACK TO MAKING MY LIVING THROUGH THE LENS !!! there, now that I have that out of my system I can settle in and have my morning espresso and have a more pleasant attitude.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #88101 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: it's too early in the morning here to be philosophical but we started the "pro" debate again and the subject was wanna be. Like David i've been on disability due to back surgery the past couple years and am just getting my business back together, so I take the wanna be issue to heart cuz I WANNA BE BACK TO MAKING MY LIVING THROUGH THE LENS !!! there, now that I have that out of my system I can settle in and have my morning espresso and have a more pleasant attitude.

And I hope you can reach - and exceed - your goals. I think the "wanna be" reference is like the joker that buys a Shelby or Calloway 'Vette and thinks they are a race driver.
You are not a "wanna be", you are an "aspiring" full-time pro. That means you didn't just buy the tools, you dedicate your time to them, and your "profession". It shows in your work.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #88181 by Cliff
Yeap, there sure are in my opinion :whistle:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #88309 by TheNissanMan
By definition a pro photographer makes a living from photography regardless of his/her abilities, a semi-pro partial income, hobbyist no income :)

cue/queue have to give you that one :lol:

12 years 10 months ago #88339 by silverback07
cannot see the problam with wanting to be a photographer everyone likes to express themselves be it with a camera a brush or in a craft,I personally am a novice I do it for the love of it I also dable in drawing and painting,I believe everyone should have a go at whatever makes them happy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix
12 years 10 months ago #88351 by mj~shutterbugg
I qualify as an aspiring, wanting to learn and be better photographer. I do not make my living off my photos. I happen to also be on disability and a stay at home Mom. That is my 'job'- Mom. I am always Mom. It takes a 2nd seat to my photography. I want to make a living part time off my camera. I aim to sell my nature prints. I am trying to break into the senior portrait business, offering free shoots to build a portfolio. So far no takers, but I am lucky to have a spouse that supports our family. This allows me the luxury of time and to do this right.

I think there are quite a few people with low end DSLR's that are trying to be pro's and get around paying pro prices for photographic work. There is an entire blog dedicated to this, I won't mention them as they are snarky and can be tough to swallow. Some people are trying to learn and those I commend, it is a passion of mine. I try and shoot daily. Does it happen no, but I try. I am trying to purchase the proper equipment and ask the questions I need to learn. Look at my siggie- that says it all. Even though I have been shooting artistically for almost 10yrs.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #88387 by MLKstudios
The low cost of a decent DSLR and etc. has created a "group" of enthusiasts that want to learn all there is to know about photography. That is good for my business.

I think the problem is when someone finally gets the camera, the lenses, and the rest of the gear they've aspired to and say, "I have arrived".

Those of us who have been at this awhile would say, "You have begun".

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidandJess
12 years 10 months ago #88639 by Stealthy Ninja

TheNissanMan wrote: By definition a pro photographer makes a living from photography regardless of his/her abilities, a semi-pro partial income, hobbyist no income :)

cue/queue have to give you that one :lol:

Fair enough. I guess that'll put me in the "semi-pro" category. I don't really want to be a pro photographer. I like money too much. :whistle:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #88701 by Henry Peach
I shot my first paid wedding not so long ago as history goes, but still in the film era. It was typical to see 3 or 4 35mm SLRs among the guests. I was using Nikon FM2n's and Vivitar 285hv's, so it wasn't uncommon to see fancier gear. Today I usually see 2 or 3 DSLRs among guests. I'm using 5DII's. Most of the guests are using entry level DSLRs. It's rare to see a speedlight. I was pleasantly surprised to see a woman using a 50mm lens and only shooting available light last Saturday.

Besides the people who are making some or all of their living from photography the folks I see carrying high end DSLRs and gear seem very similar to the the folks I saw carrying high end/dollar 35mm film gear like Nikon F5's and Leicas. Mostly it's older, wealthy dudes who make 100% of their money from something much more profitable than photography. They also buy those fancy cars. They have a lot of money, and when they get interested in something they buy the top end stuff because they can. They buy the fancy gear, and they bring it out and hang it around their necks at the appropriate time: that's pics of the grand kids, scenic overlooks, to visit the camera store, and weddings. ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024