Are there too many wanna be photographers these days???

12 years 10 months ago #89535 by crystal

flanagans.photography wrote: But i am really pursuing my dream of becoming a well known photographer in my area. there was a reason that I bought the camera that i did, nikon d300s, as i wanted a serious camera with all the bells and whistles, my camera hasn't disappointed. i really like the commander mode on mine, now if i just had 350 to get the su-800 commander, then i would be really happy

That's great you have a Nikon D300s, but the question is....can you create photos that look professional to worth having that camera?

IMO, that is the issue at hand.....
Alot of people are buying high end cameras and have no idea how to take a picture, what photography is, how to use lighting etc...

Are you that person?

Every person in the world can have a high end DSLR, any brand they want. But if they have no idea how to create a photo, make it come alive, look professional, understand photography in all aspects,...then what is the point to having a DSLR like that?

I have no problem people coming from P&S to DSLR wanting to learn more, maybe start a business, but I do feel that people should get their feet wet first. So buy an entry level DSLR.

A professional photographer can take a professional quality photo with any camera. Can you? Or are you hoping that the camera you have can save your butt because in reality you may not know photography on a professional level and hope people see this Nikon D300s will assume you are a professional photographer because you have a big camera.

"Wow, look at that camera and lens. He must be a pro"
12 years 10 months ago #89539 by Baydream

crystal wrote:

flanagans.photography wrote: But i am really pursuing my dream of becoming a well known photographer in my area. there was a reason that I bought the camera that i did, nikon d300s, as i wanted a serious camera with all the bells and whistles, my camera hasn't disappointed. i really like the commander mode on mine, now if i just had 350 to get the su-800 commander, then i would be really happy

That's great you have a Nikon D300s, but the question is....can you create photos that look professional to worth having that camera?

Alot of people are buying high end cameras and have no idea how to take a picture, what photography is, how to use lighting etc...

Are you that person?

Every person in the world can have a high end DSLR, any brand they want. But if they have no idea how to create a photo, make it come alive, look professional, understand photography in all aspects,...then what is the point to having a DSLR like that?

I have no problem people coming from P&S to DSLR wanting to learn more, maybe start a business, but I do feel that people should get their feet wet first. So buy an entry level DSLR.

A professional photographer can take a professional quality photo with any camera. Can you? Or are you hoping that the camera you have can save your butt because in reality you may not know photography on a professional level and hope people see this Nikon D300s will assume you are a professional photographer because you have a big camera.

So true.
The two biggest "errors" I see in most albums are 1) composition, and 2) focus. Composition is #1 because no camera can do that for you. Focus is #2 because people don't take their time and often don't support their camera, especially with longer lenses.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #89545 by Rob pix4u2
good points Crystal - a true pro can render a professional image with any camera because it's the person behind the camera making the image with their vision and skills.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #89553 by PT Admin

crystal wrote:

Are you that person?

I see your point. I guess if I had to compare it with what I do for a living, I would have a hard time relating to anyone who is a bookkeeper calling themselves an Accountant.

Regarding your statement about people getting their feet wet with an entry level DSLR. If an entry level photographer has the money to shell out for a high end camera and wants to experiment with it as opposed to buying a lower end model, then why shouldn't they be allowed to without receiving any backlash or being called a wannabe? He should buy what he likes and not have to spend more money on upgrading later.

People can assume anything based on what you have but it is up to you to let them know if they ask. And if you say you are a pro but you really are not, then you're just a wannabe.

As for me, I'm no pro or wannabe, my every day camera is the Nikon Coolpix and Canon Cybershot because it's easier to carry around to take snap shots of weird things and silly people! :)

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #89555 by Henry Peach
"Let me here call attention to one of the most universally popular mistakes that have to do with photography - that of classing supposedly excellent work as professional, and using the term amateur to convey the idea of immature productions and to excuse atrociously poor photographs. As a matter of fact nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love; and viewed in this light the incorrectness of the popular classification is readily apparent." - Alfred Stieglitz

I have met a lot of photographers who were doing photography for a lot of different reasons. I think it's a mistake to judge skill, talent, or experience from how much they spend on gear or what gear they happen to be carrying at the time.

Ask the IRS (or your taxman) if you are a professional. Their definition is what really counts. They won't ask to see your photo portfolio. :)

Photography has been ubiquitous for a 100 years or more in America. Would we worry if someone had a stove that was possibly beyond their cooking skills? Do all those people driving SUVs around cities really need them? Hopefully we can all find places in our lives where we get to buy what we want, even if it's more than we need. Maybe that noob with the L glass drives a Yugo so she can afford sweet camera gear?
12 years 10 months ago #89567 by PT Admin

Henry Peach wrote: "Let me here call attention to one of the most universally popular mistakes that have to do with photography - that of classing supposedly excellent work as professional, and using the term amateur to convey the idea of immature productions and to excuse atrociously poor photographs. As a matter of fact nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love; and viewed in this light the incorrectness of the popular classification is readily apparent." - Alfred Stieglitz

I have met a lot of photographers who were doing photography for a lot of different reasons. I think it's a mistake to judge skill, talent, or experience from how much they spend on gear or what gear they happen to be carrying at the time.

Ask the IRS (or your taxman) if you are a professional. Their definition is what really counts. They won't ask to see your photo portfolio. :)

Photography has been ubiquitous for a 100 years or more in America. Would we worry if someone had a stove that was possibly beyond their cooking skills? Do all those people driving SUVs around cities really need them? Hopefully we can all find places in our lives where we get to buy what we want, even if it's more than we need. Maybe that noob with the L glass drives a Yugo so she can afford sweet camera gear?

:goodpost:

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
12 years 10 months ago #91377 by Rob pix4u2
So I guess that the idea of a wanna be is ...??? Can someone who isn't serious turn out a good image Yes but not all the time. Can a true pro turn out a crappy image..Yes but not all the time. Beginners are just that and we all began our journeys as beginners but somewhere along the way we passed to intermediate level and hopefully we grow to advanced levels in this hobby/profession. I just think that in some way there are those who aren't serious enough about photography but want to make an impression that they are with no further aspirations. Maybe the debate should be are there too many people with high end cameras who aren't serious about Photography ?

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #91397 by McBeth Photography
Good photographers are remembered because of their professionalism, skill, and photo quality. When I worked (limited partnership) in the remodeling business I used to tell people that I'd much rather explain the price than make excuses for the quality.

They won't remember ANY details about your gear but, the will remember the images you produced. As a newbie you can get too hung up on the idea that, expensive camera + newbie = pro photographer. It is all part of natural selection and nothing to lose sleep over because every time a newbie botches a wedding shoot or accepts money for a bad portrait, the newbie puts nails in the coffin containing his/her career. You see that bride will tell everybody that she knows that the photographer's work was sub-par and that she would never recommend the photographer to anyone.

This is the most frustrating dynamic about business in general, I think. Do a good service and you're lucky to get 2 or 3 referrals, do a bad job and they'll tell everybody.

Don't be frustrated by the newbie photographers who bite off more than they can chew, pity them.

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #91401 by Rob pix4u2
Amen to that Barry Amen

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago #91409 by mj~shutterbugg
I have found the longer I am on photo sites, the more of a Newb I truly feel. There is so much to learn. So much room to grow. I have barely scratched the surface. I know a good photograph when I see it. I know a bad photo as well. I have done both and charged for both. I feel guilt for the bad and pride in the good, that's why this time I am taking time to learn and realize I am so new I am still shiny. I am decent with flowers. Most people won't pay for what I produce though, or at least they haven't. I regret the wedding I did more and more each day as I know I barely preserved memories for friends of the family who wanted good quality- their mistake was thinking $250 bought that quality.

Today, even after my education and experiments, I am an amateur. I do this for love not money. I am hoping to hone my skill and craft to one day be a pro by IRS standards. I see both sides to the argument as I am on the line. Not a wannabe as I don't charge and pretend to be what I am not. I am not a pro charging enough to live off of. I am a student both in life as well as photography.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #91715 by crystal
So at the grand opening today of the wellness center, I met up with the marketing director. He's holding a Nikon D80 (for the purpose of taking general shots of the grand opening), he comes over to me and ask me what camera I have. I said d7000, he says, oh I have this crappy thing...all I use it for is web shots. It's not good for much else. :rofl: My husband and I pretty much at the same time, pointed out, that all the photos of mine here on the wall were taken with my D80.

I guess the guy thought I had a bigger badder camera to take the shots I take.

I tell this story, because if this guy is only taking pictures for web work...ie: general group shots of the opening, portrait shots of each staff member that is display on the site etc.. then he can use a P&S, not a DSLR.

Then later this afternoon, we went to a local small airport that was having an air day...plane rides, vendors etc.. As soon as I walked into the gate, I saw 2 people with a DSLR within a minute of each other. In total I saw 10 people with DSLR, all appear to be entry to mid level DSLR.

And then, I wanted to take a picture of a plane (which you were able to walk up to this plane). I wanted a shot of the cockpit. So I wanted for a lady to get done taking her picture of the cockpit with her tiny camera...not sure if it was a cellphone or small P&S. She gets done and stand there, looking at her picture/trying to figure out the camera. She didn't moved at all. Completely in my way. It seem like I was waiting for ever, although it was probably 3mins or so. Then two men walk up to the cockpit (the area she was standing at), she then moved out of the way for them. But now they were in my way, they were only talking...not taking pictures. So eventually they move out of my way and I got the shot I wanted. I swear I was ready to hit someone. urgh

Ok, this was a vent, not part of the whole wanna be photographers...I just had to get it off my chest.
12 years 10 months ago #91725 by Baydream

crystal wrote: So at the grand opening today of the wellness center, I met up with the marketing director. He's holding a Nikon D80 (for the purpose of taking general shots of the grand opening), he comes over to me and ask me what camera I have. I said d7000, he says, oh I have this crappy thing...all I use it for is web shots. It's not good for much else. :rofl: My husband and I pretty much at the same time, pointed out, that all the photos of mine here on the wall were taken with my D80.

I guess the guy thought I had a bigger badder camera to take the shots I take.

I tell this story, because if this guy is only taking pictures for web work...ie: general group shots of the opening, portrait shots of each staff member that is display on the site etc.. then he can use a P&S, not a DSLR.

Then later this afternoon, we went to a local small airport that was having an air day...plane rides, vendors etc.. As soon as I walked into the gate, I saw 2 people with a DSLR within a minute of each other. In total I saw 10 people with DSLR, all appear to be entry to mid level DSLR.

And then, I wanted to take a picture of a plane (which you were able to walk up to this plane). I wanted a shot of the cockpit. So I wanted for a lady to get done taking her picture of the cockpit with her tiny camera...not sure if it was a cellphone or small P&S. She gets done and stand there, looking at her picture/trying to figure out the camera. She didn't moved at all. Completely in my way. It seem like I was waiting for ever, although it was probably 3mins or so. Then two men walk up to the cockpit (the area she was standing at), she then moved out of the way for them. But now they were in my way, they were only talking...not taking pictures. So eventually they move out of my way and I got the shot I wanted. I swear I was ready to hit someone. urgh

Ok, this was a vent, not part of the whole wanna be photographers...I just had to get it off my chest.

See if you can find a decent cattle prod on eBay. :nunu:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #91729 by Rob pix4u2
Glad to see you disabused the marketing director of his ideas about cameras Crystal. and your vent was interesting in that I have heard that female photographers don't seem to get as much respect as males-is this true in your experience?

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago #91753 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Glad to see you disabused the marketing director of his ideas about cameras Crystal. and your vent was interesting in that I have heard that female photographers don't seem to get as much respect as males-is this true in your experience?

I do think that is true. We don't get much respect........unless the female photographer is a well known pro. It also seem people were surprised it was me who took the photos that were hanging on the wall. Although my name was by each photo.
12 years 10 months ago #91761 by Rob pix4u2
That's a shame because you do beautiful work

Rob Huelsman Sr.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024