The Coffee Shop: A place to relax and hang out.

5 years 2 months ago #632118 by Nefarious
Speaking of coffee, where can I buy good fresh coffee beans?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632216 by GaryA

Nefarious wrote: Speaking of coffee, where can I buy good fresh coffee beans?  

www.sweetmarias.com/

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #632248 by JMunoz
TGIF, my wife and I are heading out to grab some dinner this evening.  Night out and some drinks.  Might even catch a movie!  

Anyone else going to check a movie?

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #632256 by GaryA
Make: Apple
Model: iPhone 6 Plus
Lens: iPhone 6 Plus back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
ISO: 32
Aperture: f/2.2
Shutter speed: 1/30 sec
Captured: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:47am

iPhone

Some avocados.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

Attachments:
5 years 2 months ago #632257 by GaryA

JMunoz wrote: TGIF, my wife and I are heading out to grab some dinner this evening.  Night out and some drinks.  Might even catch a movie!  

Anyone else going to check a movie?

Gary is trying to talk Mary Lou into Improv Night at a local theatre in Fullerton.

5 years 2 months ago #632262 by Flash Steven
Ha!  Improve sounds fun, who's playing?

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632340 by GaryA

Flash Steven wrote: Ha!  Improve sounds fun, who's playing?

Buenos Dias 'Talkers.  Gary never made it to the Improv last night.  Yesterday, Gary roto-tilled a neighbors yard.  A 20'x40' plot in front of her kitchen window.  In return, she baked up a chocolate cake and came over last night.  In lieu of the Improv, we all hung-out, eating cake and sipping wine.  It was a pleasant evening and the cake was good, the Thornton Viognier was quite tasty with a splash of tart fruitiness.

5 years 1 month ago #632396 by Jason Oldman
I think I would have opted out of the laughs for that as well.  I have a neighbor who makes an amazing rhubarb pie.  A few times a year, we'll host a dinner party  and she'll bring it over and everyone enjoys that so much. Food can and good company trumps most other things IMO.

To do that ground work, you must not have frozen soil. Don't you all have snow in your mountains?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632429 by GaryA

Jason Oldman wrote: I think I would have opted out of the laughs for that as well.  I have a neighbor who makes an amazing rhubarb pie.  A few times a year, we'll host a dinner party  and she'll bring it over and everyone enjoys that so much. Food can and good company trumps most other things IMO.

To do that ground work, you must not have frozen soil. Don't you all have snow in your mountains?

The snow is down to about 1500', the mountains are stunning right now. Majestic ... La Mirada is 194' above sea level, consequently no snow.  This area is clay, highly expansive soil.  When it is dry, it is rock hard like concrete and the tiller just bounces off the surface.  Fortunately, we've received a ton of rain in the last few weeks cutting Gary's tilling time and roto-passes in half.  Gary has been concentrating on cooking for a few years and all his friends are aware of his meals and invite themselves over ... often. :cheer:

5 years 1 month ago #632491 by GaryA
OMG - This a California gorgeous day.  1:30 in the afternoon, 70F with a slight Pacific breeze blowing in of the ocean.  Gary has fired up the Komado, his first real bBQ/Grilling of the year.  He is sitting in the patio, listening to KUSC, watching the hummers fill up at the feeder and waiting for the charcoal to heat up to cooking temp.

5 years 1 month ago #632606 by Jeanne Merlo
I just ordered my first french press from Amazon.  It arrives on Thursday!  Now is ground coffee from the store ok for one of these or would you recommend getting a grinder?  

Actually if a grinder, is there one you would recommend?  

Sorry, I took this thread literal, so I appreciate the help. 

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #632609 by GaryA

Jeanne Merlo wrote: I just ordered my first french press from Amazon.  It arrives on Thursday!  Now is ground coffee from the store ok for one of these or would you recommend getting a grinder?  

Actually if a grinder, is there one you would recommend?  

Sorry, I took this thread literal, so I appreciate the help. 

Hey Jeanne,

Ground coffee from the store works.  You can even toss tea into a press.  Drop in coffee, fill with hot water, stir and then slap the top on and brew for four minutes. Viola! 

The problem with most store ground coffee, is that coffee companies tend to mix good beans with 'meh' beans.  Grinding your own beans gives you greater quality control over the whole process and delivers the freshest beans, (over time beans start losing flavor after grinding). I use a hand grinder, because electric grinders can be pretty loud, especially early in the morn when I get up and Mary Lou is still sleeping. I like for Mary Lou to wake up to a fresh cup of hot coffee. A hand grinder is much quieter and leaves a smaller environmentally negative footprint. ;)

You'll find with high quality, single variety beans, that there isn't any bitterness or aftertaste, which minimizes/eliminates the need for flavor changing additives, a la sugar and cream/milk. 

5 years 1 month ago #632634 by GaryA
Mary Lou and Gary made made a wild dash to Temecula. 

We’re sipping some vino wait for our food. 

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #632791 by GaryA
@ Jeanne:
by far, the largest single ingredient in coffee is water. Make sure you use the best water available. 

Gary’s hand grinder. 

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #632829 by Stanly
Well I'm excited friends.  Tomorrow the contractors arrive at our home to remodel our kitchen during the next 3 weeks.  This is a big one, and it's going to look amazing.  We are punching out a wall and expanding the size of the house by 585 feet.  This is going to make this kitchen huge.  We have a new center island that will become the main focal point in the room too.  :)

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024