1. The Nikon 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II is another Nikon workhorse lens for professional sports and nature photographers and photojournalists, considering this lens is priced at approximately $4,500 to $5,200.
Read what owners of this lens are saying about their Nikon 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II HERE.
2. Professional portrait and fashion photographers often prefer this lens because it does an excellent job modeling faces, and renders a pleasing loss of focus across the background.
3. Pros also love this lens because of its small footprint and low weight: 4.9 inches (124mm) x 10.5 inches (267.5 mm) and 6.4 lbs. (2.9kg).
4. The Nikon 300mm f/2.8 is protected from the extreme environments (dust and moisture) of action photography, so there is no interruption of shooting schedules.
5. With its very fast f/2.8 maximum aperture, this Nikon lens gives the demanding pro the exposure flexibility to stop action and make it sharp.
6. The 300mm also delivers sharpness with 11 glass elements in 8 groups, including 3 ED elements, plus Nikon’s exclusive Nano Crystal Coat technology to control ghosting and flare.
7. The lens features a protective glass plate at the front, which is more convenient and less costly to replace than an optical element.
8. Among its many features is Nikon’s Vibration Reduction (VR) II, or image stabilization, technology, so photographers can shoot hand-held images as many as four shutter speeds slower than without VR.
9. As virtually any professional will tell you, the only reason images shot with this lens are not extremely sharp is the fault of the photographer.
10. The Nikon 300mm will focus as close as 7.5 feet (2.3m) in auto-focus and 7.2 feet (2.2m) in manual focus.
11. Its Silent Wave Motor provides quick and quiet auto-focus functionality, especially when shooting wildlife.
12. Serious photographers will appreciate the addition of an A/M focus mode to the standard M/A and M modes.
13. The picture angle of the Nikon 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II is 8°10' (5°20' with Nikon DX format).
14. The maximum reproduction ratio is 1:6.4.
15. This lens accepts 52mm filters.
16. The Nikon 300mm f/2.8 package includes a slip-on front lens cap, rear lens cap, lens hood, semi-soft case, dedicated filter holder, 52mm screw-on neutral-density filter and a strap.
17. This Nikon lens is compatible with Nikon DSLR cameras: D1 Series, D2 Series, D40 Series, D50, D60, D70 Series, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D300S, DX3, D3S, D700, D3000 and D5000; Nikon Pronea 600i and Pronea S Series; Nikon F5, F100, F80, F75, F65, F60, F55, F50 and F-401; and Nikon F4, F90 Series, F70, F801 Series and F601M (P and S modes only).