1. As one of the smaller players in the digital camera market, Pentax has to make some bold moves to be competitive. It’s done just that with the Pentax K-01 mirrorless compact system camera, released during March 2012. First, it asked well-known industrial designer Marc Newson to create the camera’s look; and, as you might expect, he has given it a totally unique design that is incomparable in the marketplace (He even has a signature nameplate on the top of the camera). One of its color combinations is a sharply contrasting yellow body and black accent panels. Plus, it has an unusual curved and rounded body shape that almost reflects a minimalist architectural style. If you want your camera to tell the world that you’re a different kind of person (and photographer), then the Pentax K-01 will make that statement.
There were 5 real customer reviews of the Pentax K01 all giving it 4-5 star rating if you would like to read these reviews you can do so here.
2. Another immediate distinctive physical feature is that the Pentax K-01 may be the largest mirrorless/interchangeable camera on the market. Pentax did this for a very good reason, however. The camera has the K-lens mount, so no adapter is required to use any of Pentax’s 214 lenses. The body must be bigger and designed with more depth to accommodate the mount and create enough backfocus distance. The wide array of K-mount lenses available to the K-01 owner is a definite advantage over most other interchangeable lens cameras. Many of which have a limited number of compatible lenses, which causes many consumers to pause before buying them.
3. Not only is the Pentax K-01 more like a DSLR in size, but also benefits from the build quality of most DSLRs. The camera is manufactured with a stainless-steel alloy frame and a rugged, ribbed and rubberized covering to the left and right of the lens mount. You know you are holding a more substantial shooting tool than the typical “miniaturized” mirrorless camera.
4. The Pentax K-01 is a complete digital photography system with the PENTAX-DA L 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 AL lens, which is often the kit lens with Pentax DSLRs. Another interesting lens to use on the K-01 is the new DA 40mm f/2.8 XS pancake lens, with a 60mm equivalent field-of-view.
5. Not only is the rear LCD a large 3-inch, 920,000-dot display with above-average visibility and brightness, but also provides a complete review of operational status. With a simple press of the info button in record mode, the photographer is able to choose and adjust settings on the screen without using the camera’s menu.
6. Since all of Pentax’s K-mount lenses can be used with the Pentax K-01, some telephoto and telephoto-zoom choices have significant focal lengths and physical lengths. To compensate for any camera shake that may occur with a large lens on the K-01, Pentax built the camera with its Shake Reduction System. Once activated as a main menu option, the system gives the photographer approximately 2.5 to 4 more shutter stops, so they can shoot at higher speeds, which reduces the possibility of blurred images.
7. The Pentax K-01 records 1080p Full HD video at 30/25/24fps as well as 720p HD at 60/50/30/25/24fps in the MPEG-4 H.264 format. Video capabilities include an external stereo microphone port and HDMI connectivity to an HDTV.
8. With a 16-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and an ISO sensitivity range of 100–12,800 (expandable to 25,600), the K-01 achieves an impeccable image quality. Some barely detectable noise is evident at ISO 1,600. Additional image sharpness and color saturation are easily accomplished with the camera’s Digital Filters, which could literally save you hours at the computer; the D-Range options pulls as much as possible from shadows and highlights; and the HDR mode combines three separate exposures in the camera, significantly enhancing the dynamic range of any JPEG.
The Pentax K-01 Digital Camera is available from B&H Photo Video. The body only is priced for $746.95, with the 40mm lens for $896.95, and with the 18–55mm and 50–200mm lenses for $996.25 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Pentax+K-01&N=0&InitialSearch=yes.
People who read this PhotographyTalk.com article also liked:
Your feedback is important to thousands of PhotographyTalk.com fans and us. If this article is helpful, then please click the Like and Re-Tweet buttons at the top left of this article.
Photograph © www.pentax.com
[7:58:05 PM] Ralf Tenbrink: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Nikon+Coolpix+P510