Do you think photographers go over board with Photoshop these days?

12 years 11 months ago #56817 by Foggy
One thing that I've noticed is that there are many people that are getting started in Photoshop or just a different type of artistic process where saturation and contrast are all pumped up. Personally I like the look in most of these, but do you think it can be over board?

I think many of these images are just stunning, but a LOT of them seem WAY over-Photoshopped to me. Extreme saturation and contrast with bumps in sharpness which are clearly done in the post-processing stage.

I'm wondering what others thoughts are on this?

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #57174 by Zardoz
It is all Ansel Adams fault, why couldn't he just go in print the shot and then go out and shoot some more! But nooooooooooooooooooooooo he had to try to make the shots more like what he saw or what he wanted them to appear like.

I think that like all technomedia people have a desire to push the envelope. HDR for example gives me flashbacks, thank heavens :woohoo:

12 years 11 months ago #57227 by chasrich
Looking back a few years I can see a couple of trends. The photos have gotten better IMHO and the photoshopping has gotten more subtle. I think the before work and after the click work go hand in hand towards a better end result.

Every once in a while though you need to get radical and really bend those pixels to your bidding. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #57237 by Aline311
:agree:
For sure.

Aline
12 years 11 months ago #57240 by Lori G

chasrich wrote: Looking back a few years I can see a couple of trends. The photos have gotten better IMHO and the photoshopping has gotten more subtle. I think the before work and after the click work go hand in hand towards a better end result.

Every once in a while though you need to get radical and really bend those pixels to your bidding. :woohoo:

:agree: :goodpost:

12 years 11 months ago #57332 by Henry Peach
People tend to like pumped up saturation and contrast. Notice the popularity of Velvia for the last 30+ years. I do see a lot of saturation, and local contrast adjustments that are a bit rich for my taste, but a lot of folks dig that stuff.

Every time I get enamored with a new gimmick I tend to over apply it for a little while. How can you learn how far is too far if you don't go there? :) Eventually I back off, or move on to the next gimmick.
12 years 11 months ago #57343 by Graflex 4x5
I think people are depending on Photoshop way too much. How many times have you heard someone say "I'll fix it later in PS." when if they took their time and thought out their shot they wouldn't need any post processing.

I'd rather put my effort into aquiring the image, not the process used to create an image.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snapshots
12 years 11 months ago #57350 by Scotty
As I always say, there can never be enough GOOD photoshop. Bad Photoshop on the other hand..

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57364 by Henry Peach
Most folks dropped their film off at the lab for standardized, automatic machines to develop and print, but there were always some of us willing to put up with the inconvenience of doing it ourselves in the darkroom, because it offered us more options, more control, and a better finished photograph. These days most folks are happy with the in-camera processing, but there are still some of us that see an advantage in taking control of the processing. Photoshop is more convenient for most than having a darkroom, so more people are getting into the processing. It's fun, and offers creative control. It's just as important to get processing and printing right as it is to get the exposure and lighting right. The weakest link affects the entire chain.
12 years 11 months ago #57366 by Baydream

Scotty wrote: As I always say, there can never be enough GOOD photoshop. Bad Photoshop on the other hand..

:agree: It's like most things. It can be used for good or it can be used for evil.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #57378 by Aline311

Lori G wrote:

chasrich wrote: Looking back a few years I can see a couple of trends. The photos have gotten better IMHO and the photoshopping has gotten more subtle. I think the before work and after the click work go hand in hand towards a better end result.

:agree: :goodpost:

Can I join the group, :agree:

Aline
12 years 11 months ago #57379 by Aline311

Baydream wrote:

Scotty wrote: As I always say, there can never be enough GOOD photoshop. Bad Photoshop on the other hand..

:agree: It's like most things. It can be used for good or it can be used for evil.

Amen!;)

Aline
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57434 by Maria21
I think it is good to push the envelope & get creative from time to time. There's a lot to be said about taking a modern photograph & make it look vintage. People thought Picasso was outrageous in his day & look at what his stuff is worth now.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #57439 by Stealthy Ninja

Graflex 4x5 wrote: I think people are depending on Photoshop way too much. How many times have you heard someone say "I'll fix it later in PS." when if they took their time and thought out their shot they wouldn't need any post processing.

I'd rather put my effort into aquiring the image, not the process used to create an image.

As an event photographer, sometime I say "I'll fix that in PS" because I don't have the chance to take the shot again. Of course I usually get it right first, but it's not always possible.
12 years 11 months ago #57478 by DestinDave
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. Photoshop is just another "tool" in the photographer's arsenal. Or the artist's, or the web-designer's.. And a very powerful tool for that matter. Sometimes I behold an image and think "WTH were they thinking?" and then I realize, many people probably look at my stuff and think the same, with an F instead...

Is taking a beautiful B&W print and hand-painting it with oil pencils overdoing it? Or is it creating a piece of art from another piece of art? I believe if Ansel, Picasso, Dali, and all the other great Masters were alive today, they would use a camera, paints, and CS5 to their fullest abilities to create..

Enough soapbox... Yeah - a lot of photographers just click away, never changing from Full Auto Jpeg, never checking a histogram, no thought whatever for composition or lighting - all with the admitted mindset that they can always fix it later with Photoshop..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024