Sad day for me

9 years 9 months ago #385565 by Ruby Grace
Delicate post topic.  Personally I think Photoshop is just part of modern day photography.  I don't belong to Viewbug so can't comment on that.  But if people are winning there and you believe it's because they are Photoshop/editing their photos.  There is nothing wrong with that, they are using available resources.  You have the choice to embrace the tools of the trade.   Think back to the first camera tripod that was invented.  You have two photographers side by side taking a photo of the sunset.  One photographer has a tripod and other photographer believes using a tripod is cheating.  Photographs are taken, photographer with tripod has a sharp photo, the other photographer with no tripod has good photo, but soft.  No one cheated here, just using what available tools to make a better shot.   The person viewing the photo doesn't care how the photographer took the photo or if they used a tripod or not.  They only care how the shot looks. 

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzzieK
The topic has been locked.
9 years 9 months ago #385633 by garyrhook

Tom-Lutz wrote: To me its cheating. Let a photo rise or fall on its origonal merit, not on what's done after the fact.

Just to be concise:

Most. Photos. Suck. Without. Editing. I'd like to be proven wrong but it hasn't happened yet.

I looked you up on VB, but all I found was this:

www.viewbug.com/member/tommlutz

which is a NULL page. So you're on VB but no one can see your images without friending you?

I can't see anything of yours, and I would like to. And as i said above, you can't "lift" anything from VB to show here, you can only use links to pages on that site.

If you'd like to discuss an image, watermark it and post it here, please.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but an awful lot of the members of VB like/favorite/award images simply to acquire points and climb up to higher levels. I'd keep a grain of salt handy because I'm pretty sure it has very little to do with the quality of images for many folks. Given most of the images submitted to the contests, it's apparent most of those folks have no clue what constitutes a decent photograph.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385640 by Tom-Lutz
Nice analogy about early photography but not accurate but I see your point. I'll still never agree to it simply because I can take good photos but t hen be lousy at photoshop.

9 years 9 months ago #385641 by Tom-Lutz
 I've got it water marked but have no clue how to send the post here. I disagree about photos sucking just because they haven't been photo shopped.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #385647 by Scotty

Tom-Lutz wrote:  I've got it water marked but have no clue how to send the post here. I disagree about photos sucking just because they haven't been photo shopped.

I think he means higher end photography.  It's all been touched by editing hands.

As far as uploading a photo, just click on the Insert Image icon next to the red Play button.
[/url]

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385652 by Hassner
If you are such a purist, in film days, which film did you use?
Did you ever experiment with vivid colour fim?
Film for landscape?
Film for portrait?
Cross processing?
Developed your own black & white?

If you only did eg Kodak Ectachrome, did you ever have them printed?
On what contrast paper? Did you tell them not to dodge or burn?

When you scan your film in, what equipment do you use?
Did you try them all to see which one gives you colours and contrast closet to the film?

Just trying to make you aware that being a purest takes a lot of effort.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385658 by Tom-Lutz
 NO, never did that

9 years 9 months ago #385663 by Tom-Lutz
 When I do that nothing but a blank box comes up. and don't say clear the cookies. I just did that yesterday. NO that's not the problem

9 years 9 months ago #385706 by Colourful Photography
People who don't like to edit their photos usually aren't very good at editing. They don't understand the process so they think it's "cheating".

This doesn't apply to Tom Lutz of course, just making a general observation.

I'm colour blind, but it doesn't keep me from exploring the wonderfully colourful world around us. :)
9 years 9 months ago #385730 by KCook

Ruby Grace wrote: Delicate post topic.  Personally I think Photoshop is just part of modern day photography.  I don't belong to Viewbug so can't comment on that.  But if people are winning there and you believe it's because they are Photoshop/editing their photos.  There is nothing wrong with that, they are using available resources.  You have the choice to embrace the tools of the trade.   Think back to the first camera tripod that was invented.  You have two photographers side by side taking a photo of the sunset.  One photographer has a tripod and other photographer believes using a tripod is cheating.  Photographs are taken, photographer with tripod has a sharp photo, the other photographer with no tripod has good photo, but soft.  No one cheated here, just using what available tools to make a better shot.   The person viewing the photo doesn't care how the photographer took the photo or if they used a tripod or not.  They only care how the shot looks. 

Well said :agree:

Also, there is the matter of degree of adjustment.  "Cheating" with PS sounds like making drastic adjustments.  It does not have to be that way.  With Lightroom I can make mild adjustments, that in essence "fix" the poor adjustments that the camera might make with a JPG image.  And yes, the camera does make those adjustments in a JPG.  And yes, those JPG adjustments the camera makes are not always correct, much less optimum.  There is no "natural" or "true" image, no matter how advanced the camera is.  Hard for beginners to believe, but that is the way cameras and photography are.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #385733 by Stealthy Ninja

Tom-Lutz wrote: Nice analogy about early photography but not accurate but I see your point. I'll still never agree to it simply because I can take good photos but t hen be lousy at photoshop.

You mean historically accurate? Analogies rarely are. 
9 years 9 months ago #385740 by Sawyer

Ruby Grace wrote: Delicate post topic.  Personally I think Photoshop is just part of modern day photography.  I don't belong to Viewbug so can't comment on that.  But if people are winning there and you believe it's because they are Photoshop/editing their photos.  There is nothing wrong with that, they are using available resources.  You have the choice to embrace the tools of the trade.   Think back to the first camera tripod that was invented.  You have two photographers side by side taking a photo of the sunset.  One photographer has a tripod and other photographer believes using a tripod is cheating.  Photographs are taken, photographer with tripod has a sharp photo, the other photographer with no tripod has good photo, but soft.  No one cheated here, just using what available tools to make a better shot.   The person viewing the photo doesn't care how the photographer took the photo or if they used a tripod or not.  They only care how the shot looks. 

:agree:     good post Ruby

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385776 by Tom-Lutz
call me "OLD SCHOOL" then. To me its just wrong. Too many times I've seen pics look more like an OIL PAINTING than a real true to life photo.

9 years 9 months ago #385785 by garyrhook

Tom-Lutz wrote:  When I do that nothing but a blank box comes up. and don't say clear the cookies. I just did that yesterday. NO that's not the problem

Huh. Try a different browser? You don't state what OS or browser you are using, so difficult to discern too much.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385786 by garyrhook

Tom-Lutz wrote: Nice analogy about early photography but not accurate but I see your point. I'll still never agree to it simply because I can take good photos but t hen be lousy at photoshop.

Right. That's why I posited "most". And certainly, preference has a large part to play here.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024