Sad day for me

8 years 7 months ago #385565 by Ruby Grace
Delicate post topic.  Personally I think Photoshop is just part of modern day photography.  I don't belong to Viewbug so can't comment on that.  But if people are winning there and you believe it's because they are Photoshop/editing their photos.  There is nothing wrong with that, they are using available resources.  You have the choice to embrace the tools of the trade.   Think back to the first camera tripod that was invented.  You have two photographers side by side taking a photo of the sunset.  One photographer has a tripod and other photographer believes using a tripod is cheating.  Photographs are taken, photographer with tripod has a sharp photo, the other photographer with no tripod has good photo, but soft.  No one cheated here, just using what available tools to make a better shot.   The person viewing the photo doesn't care how the photographer took the photo or if they used a tripod or not.  They only care how the shot looks. 

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzzieK
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385633 by garyrhook

Tom-Lutz wrote: To me its cheating. Let a photo rise or fall on its origonal merit, not on what's done after the fact.


Just to be concise:

Most. Photos. Suck. Without. Editing. I'd like to be proven wrong but it hasn't happened yet.

I looked you up on VB, but all I found was this:

www.viewbug.com/member/tommlutz

which is a NULL page. So you're on VB but no one can see your images without friending you?

I can't see anything of yours, and I would like to. And as i said above, you can't "lift" anything from VB to show here, you can only use links to pages on that site.

If you'd like to discuss an image, watermark it and post it here, please.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but an awful lot of the members of VB like/favorite/award images simply to acquire points and climb up to higher levels. I'd keep a grain of salt handy because I'm pretty sure it has very little to do with the quality of images for many folks. Given most of the images submitted to the contests, it's apparent most of those folks have no clue what constitutes a decent photograph.


Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385640 by Tom-Lutz
Nice analogy about early photography but not accurate but I see your point. I'll still never agree to it simply because I can take good photos but t hen be lousy at photoshop.


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385641 by Tom-Lutz
 I've got it water marked but have no clue how to send the post here. I disagree about photos sucking just because they haven't been photo shopped.


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #385647 by Scotty



Tom-Lutz wrote:  I've got it water marked but have no clue how to send the post here. I disagree about photos sucking just because they haven't been photo shopped.


I think he means higher end photography.  It's all been touched by editing hands.


As far as uploading a photo, just click on the Insert Image icon next to the red Play button.
[/url]

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385652 by Hassner
If you are such a purist, in film days, which film did you use?
Did you ever experiment with vivid colour fim?
Film for landscape?
Film for portrait?
Cross processing?
Developed your own black & white?

If you only did eg Kodak Ectachrome, did you ever have them printed?
On what contrast paper? Did you tell them not to dodge or burn?

When you scan your film in, what equipment do you use?
Did you try them all to see which one gives you colours and contrast closet to the film?

Just trying to make you aware that being a purest takes a lot of effort.


This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385658 by Tom-Lutz
 NO, never did that


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385663 by Tom-Lutz
 When I do that nothing but a blank box comes up. and don't say clear the cookies. I just did that yesterday. NO that's not the problem


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385706 by Colourful Photography
People who don't like to edit their photos usually aren't very good at editing. They don't understand the process so they think it's "cheating".

This doesn't apply to Tom Lutz of course, just making a general observation.

I'm colour blind, but it doesn't keep me from exploring the wonderfully colourful world around us. :)
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385730 by KCook

Ruby Grace wrote: Delicate post topic.  Personally I think Photoshop is just part of modern day photography.  I don't belong to Viewbug so can't comment on that.  But if people are winning there and you believe it's because they are Photoshop/editing their photos.  There is nothing wrong with that, they are using available resources.  You have the choice to embrace the tools of the trade.   Think back to the first camera tripod that was invented.  You have two photographers side by side taking a photo of the sunset.  One photographer has a tripod and other photographer believes using a tripod is cheating.  Photographs are taken, photographer with tripod has a sharp photo, the other photographer with no tripod has good photo, but soft.  No one cheated here, just using what available tools to make a better shot.   The person viewing the photo doesn't care how the photographer took the photo or if they used a tripod or not.  They only care how the shot looks. 


Well said :agree:

Also, there is the matter of degree of adjustment.  "Cheating" with PS sounds like making drastic adjustments.  It does not have to be that way.  With Lightroom I can make mild adjustments, that in essence "fix" the poor adjustments that the camera might make with a JPG image.  And yes, the camera does make those adjustments in a JPG.  And yes, those JPG adjustments the camera makes are not always correct, much less optimum.  There is no "natural" or "true" image, no matter how advanced the camera is.  Hard for beginners to believe, but that is the way cameras and photography are.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385733 by Stealthy Ninja

Tom-Lutz wrote: Nice analogy about early photography but not accurate but I see your point. I'll still never agree to it simply because I can take good photos but t hen be lousy at photoshop.


You mean historically accurate? Analogies rarely are. 
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385740 by Sawyer

Ruby Grace wrote: Delicate post topic.  Personally I think Photoshop is just part of modern day photography.  I don't belong to Viewbug so can't comment on that.  But if people are winning there and you believe it's because they are Photoshop/editing their photos.  There is nothing wrong with that, they are using available resources.  You have the choice to embrace the tools of the trade.   Think back to the first camera tripod that was invented.  You have two photographers side by side taking a photo of the sunset.  One photographer has a tripod and other photographer believes using a tripod is cheating.  Photographs are taken, photographer with tripod has a sharp photo, the other photographer with no tripod has good photo, but soft.  No one cheated here, just using what available tools to make a better shot.   The person viewing the photo doesn't care how the photographer took the photo or if they used a tripod or not.  They only care how the shot looks. 



:agree:     good post Ruby

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385776 by Tom-Lutz
call me "OLD SCHOOL" then. To me its just wrong. Too many times I've seen pics look more like an OIL PAINTING than a real true to life photo.


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385785 by garyrhook

Tom-Lutz wrote:  When I do that nothing but a blank box comes up. and don't say clear the cookies. I just did that yesterday. NO that's not the problem


Huh. Try a different browser? You don't state what OS or browser you are using, so difficult to discern too much.


Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 7 months ago #385786 by garyrhook

Tom-Lutz wrote: Nice analogy about early photography but not accurate but I see your point. I'll still never agree to it simply because I can take good photos but t hen be lousy at photoshop.


Right. That's why I posited "most". And certainly, preference has a large part to play here.


Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.

817.3K

241K

  • Facebook

    817,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    241,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon Rebel T5i is a budget-friendly entry-level DSLR. And while it’s a few years old, it still has excellent capabilities, especially for entry-level and enthusiast photographers.

Jan 30, 2023

The Panasonic Lumix GH5 might be nearly six years old, but when it arrived in 2017, it had incredible features, particularly for video. Do those features still hold up? Let’s find out!

Dec 28, 2022

If you’re in the market for a rangefinder camera, there is no better choice than Leica. The Leica M11 is just one model worth considering for your photographic needs.

Dec 08, 2022

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Ordering custom size photo prints requires a little forethought and some investigation into the best online printing companies. Learn what you need to do in this guide!

Jan 30, 2023

The Canon Rebel T5i is a budget-friendly entry-level DSLR. And while it’s a few years old, it still has excellent capabilities, especially for entry-level and enthusiast photographers.

Jan 30, 2023

Freelance photography jobs are a great way to make income on the side. But they can also lead to building a full-time business that allows you to earn a nice income!

Jan 30, 2023

I've had the f-stop Sukha since 2019, and it's proven to be an ideal solution for carrying lots of gear on extended trips. Is it the right bag for you? Find out!

Jan 25, 2023

With so many photo book styles available from Printique, you can find something that perfectly fits your images for any occasion, whether a wedding, senior portrait, or something in between.

Jan 24, 2023

Whether you’re just starting in photography or you’ve been at it awhile, there is always room to improve your photography workflow. Get tips on that very subject in this guide!

Jan 24, 2023

Not sure what to get your special someone for Valentine’s Day? Get inspired with these awesome photography gifts that look great, are affordable, and are sure to impress!

Jan 24, 2023

If you’re ready to level-up your video-making capabilities and are interested in a Sony cinema camera, use this guide to find the right camera for you and for your budget!

Jan 23, 2023