So, is photography your most expensive hobby?

12 years 9 months ago #118196 by KCook

chasrich wrote:

KCook wrote: Photography is dirt cheap compared to boating, flying, and some of the horsey games.

Kelly Cook

Great minds think alike... I was gonna say Polo on the helicopter deck on my yacht. :rofl:

Yeh, but serial trophy wives could be the topper. Anybody seen Tiger lately?

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #118203 by pkelly001
Well, I currently don't play Polo on the helicopter deck of my yacht, with the trophy wife looking on.... yet! I did find that my guitar and watch habits got quite expensive. However, it now looks like the photography habit is going the same way.......

12 years 9 months ago #118243 by marusya
For me, definitely, since it is one of 2...the other being knitting. Considering the camera, lenses, filters, bags, post photo software, printers and paper, etc. Yes, it is the most expensive!

12 years 9 months ago #118260 by Joves
Well right now none of my hobbies are expensive because Im not spending money on them. Astronomy cost me alot till I got set, photography was till I felt I had enough for now, and then tere is my Metal Dectecting I havetn spent anymore on it yet. I figure it will pay me back eventually, I need a hobby to pay me back, besides I do it while Im waiting for the light to get right.

12 years 9 months ago #118302 by chasrich

marusya wrote: For me, definitely, since it is one of 2...the other being knitting. Considering the camera, lenses, filters, bags, post photo software, printers and paper, etc. Yes, it is the most expensive!

Welcome to the coo-coo nest. :welcomeclan

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #118307 by Baydream

KCook wrote:

chasrich wrote:

KCook wrote: Photography is dirt cheap compared to boating, flying, and some of the horsey games.

Kelly Cook

Great minds think alike... I was gonna say Polo on the helicopter deck on my yacht. :rofl:

Yeh, but serial trophy wives could be the topper. Anybody seen Tiger lately?

Ouch.:pinch:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #118456 by JanWolfendenPhotographer
Try amateur Drag Racing! We spend 8000 quid yearly just to get to the venues and fuel/oil/entry costs! :)

12 years 9 months ago #119086 by mchuber

JanWolfendenPhotographer wrote: Try amateur Drag Racing! We spend 8000 quid yearly just to get to the venues and fuel/oil/entry costs! :)

The cost of racing cars has increased steadly every year, that caused me to quit long ago. I will admit, racing does remain in the blood and I try to get to a strip once or twice a year to get the smell and feel again.

12 years 9 months ago #119302 by Joe Photo Daddy

JanWolfendenPhotographer wrote: Try amateur Drag Racing! We spend 8000 quid yearly just to get to the venues and fuel/oil/entry costs! :)

Let's see some photos of your race car. What sort of power, specs?

12 years 9 months ago #119309 by Chipper
It's up there on the list, but boating has photography beat by a long way

12 years 9 months ago #119337 by Maria21
I think it's a toss up for me. I also draw & paint. I have quite a bit tied up in paints, brushes, drawing pencils, technicial pens, etc. One .00 tech pen can cost in the ballpark of $12.00, so when you factor in that there are upwards of 15 sizes, you have a nice little bit tied up. The cheapest tube of good paint runs around $6.00 for a small tube & well we all know the unlimited color options.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 9 months ago #119348 by IceEyes
yes and no ...... I been adding to my equipment through the years (I just bought me a new camera) but, i really don't "need" anything else ...

I need to win that lottery myself just to pay for GAS - :rofl:

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸ IceEyes
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ (¸.·""♥

Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

Real Eyes ~ Realize ~ Real Lies

12 years 7 months ago #146711 by eglide022002
It is cheap compared to the reason I got into photography, off-road racing, at the pro level its 100K to just build a 2 wheel drive truck, in the sportsman classes you can get started for as little as 5K

12 years 7 months ago #146712 by angel8312187
Photography is by far my most expensive hobby. I have been trying to start my own small business for years. I focused on macro and landscape for yrs, when Dslr were not available, even at my University. Now I am getting into newborns and babies. Weddings are great, but I am so excited to do some shoots with those adorable little angels and maternity photos. Photography is my passion, not just a hobby.

My father ended up after flipping boats with a 48 Ft. Fountain that we took on Poker Runs and so many other wonderful adventures. I agree that's an expensive hobby, but I can't afford that one just yet. :P I sure do miss him.

For me it is the most expensive passion and hobby. I love it and know I will succeed one day. It's just going to take some time. :woohoo:

12 years 7 months ago #146714 by angel8312187
[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\000_0033.jpg[/attachment]
Photography is by far my most expensive hobby. I have been trying to start my own small business for years. I focused on macro and landscape for yrs, when Dslr were not available, even at my University. Now I am getting into newborns and babies. Weddings are great, but I am so excited to do some shoots with those adorable little angels and maternity photos. Photography is my passion, not just a hobby.

My father ended up after flipping boats with a 48 Ft. Fountain that we took on Poker Runs and so many other wonderful adventures. I agree that's an expensive hobby, but I can't afford that one just yet. :P I sure do miss him.

For me it is the most expensive passion and hobby. I love it and know I will succeed one day. It's just going to take some time. :woohoo:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024